Service upgrades and existing MWBC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For a service upgrade, where you have several existing MWBC's, are you now required to replace the s/p breakers with 2-pole breakers or does 210.4(B) address only new construction ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For a service upgrade, where you have several existing MWBC's, are you now required to replace the s/p breakers with 2-pole breakers or does 210.4(B) address only new construction ?
IMO, I would put handle ties and be done with it but I also don't believe you should be required to do it- no telling what your ahj will say.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

We don't , but that answer is worth nothing. I haven't been called on it nor even heard that our inspectors are looking for it.

Does make me wonder about how a few "electricians" would, in years past, junction all the neutrals together in any junction or switch box. What a nightmare.

guschash

I don't , only when I know where they go. Get in some older home you never know who wired the place and how they did.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO they're not required especially in New Jersey under the rehab code, but I don't think that it's really clearly defined either way. I could see an inspector saying that he wanted them installed which leaves you in a gray area. We buy handle ties by the bag and install them on service changes which is cheap insurance against having to go back when an EI insists on you using them.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
IMO they're not required especially in New Jersey under the rehab code, but I don't think that it's really clearly defined either way. I could see an inspector saying that he wanted them installed which leaves you in a gray area. We buy handle ties by the bag and install them on service changes which is cheap insurance against having to go back when an EI insists on you using them.
Rehab Code. My thinking exactly but after asking some of my associates they claim there are some inspectors that have insisted they be 2-pole breakers. Handle ties are always a good option

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rehab Code. My thinking exactly but after asking some of my associates they claim there are some inspectors that have insisted they be 2-pole breakers. Handle ties are always a good option

A 2 pole CB is not required for an upgrade or a new installation. If someone is requiring them they're incorrectly applying the NEC. We usually only install two different manufacturers panels on service upgrades so having some cheap handle ties on hand for either brand is cheap insurance.

hotwire1955

Rehab code is like for like, 200A is not like 100A service so we always put ties or 2- poll breakers in.You never know if you will get an EI that will remove the cover and do a true inspection, many do not remove the cover.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Rehab code is like for like, 200A is not like 100A service so we always put ties or 2- poll breakers in.You never know if you will get an EI that will remove the cover and do a true inspection, many do not remove the cover.
Thanks, I'll be removing the cover in this case because there's a generator transfer switch involved and he will want to make sure I floated the neutrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.