Sump pumps and GFI what is the requirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfret

I'm installing a 480V sump pump with a 120V float switch in an industrial facility. Is there any GFI requirement here and if so can you please direct me to the proper article? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm installing a 480V sump pump with a 120V float switch in an industrial facility. Is there any GFI requirement here and if so can you please direct me to the proper article? Thanks.
Where is the pump located. If the 120 volt is not cord and plug or not in an area that requires gfci protection then I do not see anything in the NEC that would require GFCI protection.

Tfret

No cords or plugs. Everything hard wired in seal tight. The pump is in a pit below a row of industrial curing presses. Steam condensate collects in the pit and must be pumped out. It is a permanant installation. What do you mean by "an area that requires GFI"?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I was saying if it is cord and plug and installed outdoors then it would need a gfci unless their is an amendment as NC has for sump pumps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
For cord and plug connected sump pumps GFCI protection is required. If your sump pump trips the GFCI then you need a new sump

pump.

So if the sump pump is in a finished area of a commercial building but not in an area that requires gfci you still need gfci for a cord and plug unit. Where is this written--

Also we are talking the float switch not the pump. The pump is 480V. But I am curious if the pump was 120V same scenario

iwire

Staff member
So if the sump pump is in a finished area of a commercial building but not in an area that requires gfci you still need gfci for a cord and plug unit. Where is this written--

Also we are talking the float switch not the pump. The pump is 480V. But I am curious if the pump was 120V same scenario

Dennis, I think we established that in the OPs case there is no need for GFCI, it's hardwired. :)

John120/240 was responding to the post that implied 'Sump pumps don't get GFCIs because they have to run'

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, I think we established that in the OPs case there is no need for GFCI, it's hardwired. :)

John120/240 was responding to the post that implied 'Sump pumps don't get GFCIs because they have to run'

Okay I get what you all are saying now.

Tfret

The only thing I can find in the code book about submersible pumps is 680.51 which specifically pertains to fountains. It then refers to section 682, which again, only pertains to 120V receptacals. I can find nothing in print that says this pump requires GFI protection.

guschash

At our last IAEI meeting it was stated that sump pumps do not have to be on GFCI but there has to be a GFCI located within 6 feet of sump pump.

iwire

Staff member
At our last IAEI meeting it was stated that sump pumps do not have to be on GFCI but there has to be a GFCI located within 6 feet of sump pump.

That is not what the NEC says so either they are ignoring the NEC or have amended the NEC in your area.

oregonshooter

Right, this is in Ohio. Sump pumps are not required to be GFIC. Never like that requirement anyways.

Unless you are the guy standing in the water the pump is in, then you would appreciate it. Unfortunately there is nothing required to protect the employee against shock when the pump goes to ground. :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.