Flush CounterTop Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

Can a receptacle be flush mounted in a counter top [non kitchen application]. I was looking at a print that indicated the receptacle be flush mounted into the top of a work surface. I was not sure if this was an acceptable installation for a duplex recetpacle, however cound not find a direct violation in the code are there an UL issues with this?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm pretty sure something in the code prohibits mounting counter top receptacles facing up.

I'm sure someone will post a reference. I think its somewhere in "required outlets" in 220.

Steve

Mike01

406.4[E]

406.4[E]

Found it, actually under Article 406 Receptalces; 406.4[E], but this only refers to dwelling units it does not mention commerical installation?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Found it, actually under Article 406 Receptalces; 406.4[E], but this only refers to dwelling units it does not mention commerical installation?

Yes, I found it about the same time.

For dwellings, I think the intent is to keep food particles, dirt, and liquids from falling into the receptacles. I guess that's not as much of a problem if its installed somewhere where food and drinks aren't spilled on a regular basis.

John120/240

Well if it is not in the kitchen, probably nothing wrong with it. We install receptacles in floors facing up all of the time. In a office type setting with cash register or computer terminals plugged in to these receptacles no problem. However the popular approach would be
a grommet through the counter top with the receptacle underneath the counter top.

kwired

Electron manager
Well if it is not in the kitchen, probably nothing wrong with it. We install receptacles in floors facing up all of the time. In a office type setting with cash register or computer terminals plugged in to these receptacles no problem. However the popular approach would be
a grommet through the counter top with the receptacle underneath the counter top.

In most cases you must use a listed floor box though, see 314.27(B)

John120/240

In most cases you must use a listed floor box though, see 314.27(B)

For floor recptacles yes a listed box is reuqired because you have people walking on top, chairs, tables, equipment with casters etc.
kwired are you suggesting that a listed floor box is required for upward facing recptacles in counter tops ? (other than kitchens)

kwired

Electron manager
For floor recptacles yes a listed box is reuqired because you have people walking on top, chairs, tables, equipment with casters etc.
kwired are you suggesting that a listed floor box is required for upward facing recptacles in counter tops ? (other than kitchens)

No, I was responding to your post about outlets in floors, countertops are different, and no face up receptacle is permitted per 406.5(E) as mentioned, but kitchen counters in dwellings is all it mentions. AFAIK you could have a face up receptacle but it can't be flush mounted.

there are flush mounted power strips/ outlets that are listed for non residential kitchens and other counters. 2010 u.l. white book (xbys) page 417 gives the restrictions for installing these receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.