transit connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rewire

Well its been a month sinse putting the new transit on the road . The gas bill came and it was half what the E250 was that it replaced. 23 MPG average loaded.

chris1971

Fully loaded. How much cargo weight in it? Do you use it for residential service work? What would you consider the pros of owning it to be? The cons?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Fully loaded. How much cargo weight in it? Do you use it for residential service work? What would you consider the pros of owning it to be? The cons?
You will be sitting down on the ground , like driving a small passager car,I'll take the extra room and the better view.:thumbsup:

RLyons

I drive a 2012 that was bought brand new now has 16000 miles on it....radiator just replaced, spot rust coming from beneath the paint all over and now I hear a wheel bearing starting to go :thumbsdown:

Rewire

It is used as a resi service van not sure of material weight . The pro is gas milage we have a 4 grand fuel bill average with just E2500s I could half that with the change over to transitrs plus extended warranty means less maintenance costs. It has lots of cab room with plenty of visability I drove it from Huston Texas it ran 80 with no problem. Its smaller size gives it manuverability in tight spaces.
cons are smaller size means less material so you really have to know what you need as not enough room to carry the stuff you only use every six months. No ability to tow means you need something else to haul a trailer.

Rewire

You will be sitting down on the ground , like driving a small passager car,I'll take the extra room and the better view.:thumbsup:

Actually you dont feel like you are setting low its large windshield provides excellent visability its nothing like a passenger car .The can has almost a foot of extra headroom that doesnt make it feel cramped.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Actually you dont feel like you are setting low its large windshield provides excellent visability its nothing like a passenger car .The can has almost a foot of extra headroom that doesnt make it feel cramped.

Yes it has a huge windshield ,but how about being able to view over the cars in front of you It just doesn't look like your going to have the same view when your sitting 7' high like in a truck.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We have an E-350 Super Duty Extended 6.7L diesel with interior racks, cage and ladder racks that gets 13-16 MPG intown, 18-23 MPG highway and is usually fully loaded.

i have the same thing with a 6.0, and i'm getting 13 in town,
and 23 freeway... and it goes thru the scale at 10,500#

and that is with a tune on it that will beat an unloaded
transit.... it'd smoke the tires, but with tall gears and
6,100 lbs on limited slip differential, that isn't gonna happen.

Rewire

i have the same thing with a 6.0, and i'm getting 13 in town,
and 23 freeway... and it goes thru the scale at 10,500#

and that is with a tune on it that will beat an unloaded
transit.... it'd smoke the tires, but with tall gears and
6,100 lbs on limited slip differential, that isn't gonna happen.

that is an amayzing number the the 350 diesel we owned fully chipped only was able to achiev 15 MPG that was city ,hyway,loaded ,unloiaded. When diesel was cheaper than gas it was a good deal now that diesel is higher not so much. You should call tyhe manufacture they would probably pay for thge new technology you found to get 23 MPG.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I suspect for a niche service vehicle it might be a good choice. Maybe good for getting guys to and from the job site as well. But for hauling stuff, maybe not so good.

I think people have to look at ways to cut costs, and the cost of gasoline makes it an attractive place to try to reduce expenses.

Just curious if anyone is looking at using NG as a fuel. It seems to be making some serious inroads.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I suspect for a niche service vehicle it might be a good choice. Maybe good for getting guys to and from the job site as well. But for hauling stuff, maybe not so good.

I think people have to look at ways to cut costs, and the cost of gasoline makes it an attractive place to try to reduce expenses.

Just curious if anyone is looking at using NG as a fuel. It seems to be making some serious inroads.

In CA and several other states, using CNG as fuel will get you into the carpool lanes at all times. That might be a real advantage for some. The California program may expire in 2015 though.

PetrosA

Are you going to replace most of your fleet with Ford Transits?

Transits are a full sized van similar to the Sprinter vans.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transit/2014/

They will be replacing the E series trucks next year.

Transit Connect is the smaller version. That's what I have and what's in my avatar. I would be out of business now if I had gotten a full size van and had to do the driving I do. It's hard to recoup the fuel costs in resi if you have a lot of distant customers.

Rewire

Are you going to replace most of your fleet with Ford Transits?

If this one works out we will start to retire our older full size vans starting next year . We have four vans and will replace one a year till all are replaced we then will look at a pickup for towing and large material.
it has been nice not having van payments but the age of our fleet is showing in our repair bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.