220.21 (2011)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding of 210.21 is that you are allowed to use a 15A duplex receptacle as the only device on 20A circuit. This would be the only device connected to the breaker. The logic behind this is that a duplex receptacle has 2 points of contact (ref. receptacle definitions art. 100) and therefore meets the requirements of Table 210.21(B)(3). Any inspectors care to weigh in on if my interpretation is correct? Just to be clear, I don't agree with the practice of doing this and I am only asking if it is allowed by code.

Thanks,
Will.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My understanding of 210.21 is that you are allowed to use a 15A duplex receptacle as the only device on 20A circuit. This would be the only device connected to the breaker. The logic behind this is that a duplex receptacle has 2 points of contact (ref. receptacle definitions art. 100) and therefore meets the requirements of Table 210.21(B)(3). Any inspectors care to weigh in on if my interpretation is correct? Just to be clear, I don't agree with the practice of doing this and I am only asking if it is allowed by code.

Thanks,
Will.

Why do you feel this is not a good practice? What is the diference between having 2 15amp receptacles on the circuit or 10 receptacles?

Why do you feel this is not a good practice? What is the diference between having 2 15amp receptacles on the circuit or 10 receptacles?

My reason for not liking the practice is that in say a dining room you would likely spread the load over several devices, where as if there is only one device on the circuit, then all the load goes on that one device. Another good example would be a dedicated circuit for a window AC unit.

Will.

iwire

Staff member
My reason for not liking the practice is that in say a dining room you would likely spread the load over several devices, where as if there is only one device on the circuit, then all the load goes on that one device. Another good example would be a dedicated circuit for a window AC unit.

Will.

15 amp duplex devices are designed and listed for use on 20 amp circuits. Don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.