holiday pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
cletis on MH:slaphead:, if they are full time employees you don't offer paid holidays?

Rewire

cletis on MH:slaphead:, if they are full time employees you don't offer paid holidays?

Is it a standard that holiday pay starts day one or is it typical to have a probationary period. You hire a guy thursday he works friday takes the monday holiday and quits tuesday should he get paid for the holiday? I worked at companies that required you worked the day before and the day after to get the holiday pay. It has been ten years sinse i was an employee and was woundering how other business owners handled holiday pay.

eHunter

All newhires are on a 90 day probationary period, are eligible for holiday pay after 2 weeks employment, but all employees must work the day before and the day after the holiday in order to be eligible for holiday pay.
If during a holiday an emergency job arises the employee has the option to work that holiday for time and a half pay plus holiday pay unless the holiday is Christmas eve/day or newyears eve/day which is paid at triple time pay plus holiday pay.
First year employment gets 1 week off vacation with 20 hours pay, second through fourth year gets 1 week with 1 week pay.
Five to eight year employees get 3 weeks with 2 paid, nine to twelve year get 3 weeks off with 3 weeks pay.
We honor all national holidays and the employee has the option to take their birthday or MLK day off with pay.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That working the day before and the day after a holiday, is just a great way for employers to not pay holiday pay or to get a bunch of "I'm sick" calls.

I like that here if we want to take an extended holiday, we can.

Guess one of the "perks" of working here is if I went in right now and put in a leave slip for the rest of the day, they would probably just say "have a good one". Makes it easy to come to work when you know that as long as you do your job, they will take care of you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think it varies a lot. Here it is after 90 days. That seems common.

A lot of contractors won't pay holiday pay unless the guy works the day before and after.

When I worked as a security guard we only got paid if we worked the holiday but we got double time for it. security guards rarely get holidays off anyway.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
That working the day before and the day after a holiday, is just a great way for employers to not pay holiday pay or to get a bunch of "I'm sick" calls.

Guess one of the "perks" of working here is if I went in right now and put in a leave slip for the rest of the day, they would probably just say "have a good one". Makes it easy to come to work when you know that as long as you do your job, they will take care of you.

Our policy is work the day before and day after to get paid for holiday. But, if you schedule off that's fine but don't call in cause you will not get paid.

eHunter

We are all around flexible. Working the day before and after a holiday is waived if the time off is scheduled in advance, but no holiday pay if missed day(s) not scheduled and approved.
Flex time is available and short days (mainly Fridays) are common. several of our 5+ year veterans regularly attend their children's sporting events on those short days, but their workload and production is not impacted.

growler

what is the average time before a new hire gets holiday pay? Should they get it from the date of hire or have to wait thirty days?

I don't think there is an average. It's whatever is set down as company policy and normally in a company handbook ( or written down somewhere ). The employee should be made aware of this policy before they accept employment.

If I were looking for a job it wouldn't bother me to wait a certain peroid for holiday pay ( others may have a different idea ).

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If I were looking for a job it wouldn't bother me to wait a certain peroid for holiday pay ( others may have a different idea ).

I would expect to wait for holiday pay and vacation. Especially if I was out of a job and looking,
But all things are negotiable.

USMC1302

All seem like fair responses. I like Cowboy's situation, and have always appreciated the leeway to take care of people like that. Just sad that there are those that take advantage, and it happens on both sides(supervisors and crew) that necessitate trying to formulate a "rule" to prevent a perceived abuse

All seem like fair responses. I like Cowboy's situation, and have always appreciated the leeway to take care of people like that. Just sad that there are those that take advantage, and it happens on both sides(supervisors and crew) that necessitate trying to formulate a "rule" to prevent a perceived abuse

Agreed. Set a standard. One that doesn't abuse you as the employer, but also doesn't make you out as a cheap SOB. I think at most jobs one must work the day before and after the holiday to get paid (without prior approval). Just make sure as the employer not to play favorites as far as who gets approval....if your son-in-law always seems to get the extra day off with pay it will cause grumbling throughout the ranks.

tshea

Time off

Time off

We pay holiday pay-8 hours. Must work day before and after unless prior approval.
We have been using time off requests for 5 years. One jerk that used to work for us took advantage of the goodwill, so we had to be paper hounds.

Friday after Thanksgiving is an optional day. No work no pay. We used to pay time & a quarter for that day. That was before holiday pay was instituted. We had a guy claim he worked 10 hours on Sun, Mon, Tues, and Wed, so he could collect time & half for Fri.

Then he wanted to work all dat Sat, too! Come to find out he lied about Sunday, only worked less than 4 (according to the plant log). He was given a choice: Quit or be fired. Do not try to collect Unemployment or his dirty laundry would come out and his family would suffer for his stupid lies. The boss was going to take him to court.

It's too bad there are some jerks who feel like they need to rip off the company. I guess having a job and fair compensation is not enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.