Arc flash survey: Getting information from utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtfallsmikey

I have a contractor performing an arc flash survey on the 2 office buildings I run, and they asked to have the POCO (Dominion Va.) fill out a Utility Fault Duty & Protection Data Aquisition form, which lists fault duty data, service transformer data, and upstream protection data. Is this a standard practice? I am having difficulty getting information from the POCO. (If anybody has a POC at Dominion Power's engineering dept., I would be forever grateful!)

Mikey

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
Yes that is standard practice for performing an arc flash study in accordance with IEEE 1584. Some utilities are more responsive than others. I have had utility responses in one week to one that took almost 6 months. The latter I finally got some response when I wrote a nice email documenting all the previous emails requesting the data and copied the state department that regulated the utility.
I have not dealt with POCO so I can't comment or provide a contact.

Some utilities assign a account representative to larger customer's, so it is sometimes beneficial to get them in the loop.

mtfallsmikey

Good info. Finally got a work request opened up, got a POC at the POCO, but have not heard back from them yet.

tish53

I deal with Dominion in VA regularly. They do not make Arc Flash information requests a priority. We have multiple sites with Dominion and I have an account rep who is helpful in getting timely information. Most requests take 2-4 weeks for me.

mtfallsmikey

An update: Had to put in a work request, finally got to someone from Dominion Power locally, who has been very cooperative. Only snafu will be getting the X/R ratio numbers, which may take a week, all other prep work is done. This has been sort of a pull-you-hair-out experience, just like dealing w/Verizon...

Status
Not open for further replies.