AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

It has been said that kitchens in "2014" will be required to be on AFCI protection. Is anything else new going to have to have AFCI protection (bath rooms, garage, outside receptacles or switches) ? Have any studies been done to show the need for this addition? :?:?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
It has been said that kitchens in "2014" will be required to be on AFCI protection. Is anything else new going to have to have AFCI protection (bath rooms, garage, outside receptacles or switches) ? Have any studies been done to show the need for this addition? :?:?

Not sure about studies but the laundry area will also need afci. Kitchen and laundry were the two areas that they added. Bathroom is still exempt--- for now.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Well, If you install only (2) SABC one of them has to also feed the dining, therefor one of the SABC has to be AFCI protected.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Well, sort of.. the receptacles and conductors that are part of a SABC that are in the dining room need AFCI protection, not all the SABC itself as of 2011.

Just a minor nit pick.:)

I thought that is what I said.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I thought that is what I said.
It may have been what you meant, but it was definitely not what you said. You said that the one SABC needed to be protected, not that part of one SABC would need to be protected.
For example, a feed through AFCI receptacle, or even just an AFCI receptacle could be used instead of an AFCI breaker for the whole circuit.

jumper

It may have been what you meant, but it was definitely not what you said. You said that the one SABC needed to be protected, not that part of one SABC would need to be protected.
For example, a feed through AFCI receptacle, or even just an AFCI receptacle could be used instead of an AFCI breaker for the whole circuit.

Yep, what you write is not always what you meant....:)

I struggle to write well/correctly on a daily basis; proper English usage and grammar eludes me.

crtemp

Is this going to just be the receptacles in kitchens and utility rooms or the lighting circuits as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.