radio adds

Status
Not open for further replies.

renosteinke

I would refer anyone to radio station KFMB, in San Diego. Even on their web site, you often hear the ads for "Point Loma Electric."

I can't vouch for the contractor - but his radio ads are extremely well done.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there any evidence that a radio ad is an effective marketing tool? I could see maybe for a contractor in a niche market like back up home generators but I would wonder about the effectiveness in a commercial marketplace.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Is there any evidence that a radio ad is an effective marketing tool? I could see maybe for a contractor in a niche market like back up home generators but I would wonder about the effectiveness in a commercial marketplace.

If you have enough trucks fully stocked and the men to do the work it sure can be.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you have enough trucks fully stocked and the men to do the work it sure can be.

I should clarify, what I meant by commercial work would be large stores, office buildings, stores, etc. I doubt that a large GC or developer would hire an EC for a big box store based on a radio ad.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I would say the fact that Mr. Electric is in business is proof. How else can you have a national Company , take a cut off the top and dictate high markups and yet stay in business?

iwire

Staff member
In the Boston area IBEW 103 has been doing some radio and TV marketing.

They push the training along with on time and in budget. They often have testimonials from developers, general contractors or customers with success stories.

I think it is much better marketing than pickets that interfere with the general public.

kwired

Electron manager

They push the training along with on time and in budget. They often have testimonials from developers, general contractors or customers with success stories.

I think it is much better marketing than pickets that interfere with the general public.

That and the ads you had links to maybe are effective for IBEW 103, but what about a contractor or service business as in the OP? Someone needs work done they don't call IBEW, they call a contractor. The IBEW ads may help contractors associated with IBEW though.

kwired

Electron manager
When I hear radio ads in this area I never hear general ads from EC's. I do hear their sponsorship ads for specific programming at times. An example may be area high school sports broadcasts, but most of the sponsors only get their name mentioned during broadcast and no actual 15 or 30 second commercial time. To run real commercials and be effective you need to run an ad that airs many times a day and has content that will stick in the listeners minds like a catchy jingle or slogan, otherwise you are forgotten about as soon as the ad is over. It is this way for any business running ads not just EC's. There are ads that run constantly that I find rather annoying. I don't know if they help increase sales or not, but they do get listeners attention even if annoying.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

in the LA area, powell electric has been carpet bombing daytime TV,
they have two "real technicians" singing a powell electric song.

i kid you not. when i was couch camping this sunday with a headcold,
i got about 5 commercials from them to help me clear my sinuses.

http://www.powell-electric.com/

if reading the online reviews are any indication, they are masters of the $800 service call.

check out the yelps.... aside from the shill reviews, it's a solid series of 1's...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/powell-electric-los-angeles

perhaps the OP should direct his inquiries to them.... why do radio, when daytime TV is there?

one of their reviews on yelp.... if you followed their model, you could have reviews like this as well......

"Agree with most people below. THIS IS A SCAM. DON'T FALL FOR THE STUPID COMMERCIAL!

They charge you the $70 just to come out. You expect the work can't cost more than $100 or so,
so you agree. They check out the simplest problem and quote you in the thousands. You realize
it's not worth it, pay them 70 bucks, and they are on their way within 10 minutes. They probably
do this all over the city all day and collect money from people without ever doing any work.

The guy who came out to see us for a busted plug looked at our main circuit board and said the
whole thing needed to be replaced for over $5,000!!! We had two other electricians come out
and say that the circuit board was absolutely fine. To top it off (although I am the idiot for not
figuring it out), the only thing causing the plug not to work was that it was controlled by a light
switch which wasnt turned on!!!"

Last edited:

Rewire

in the LA area, powell electric has been carpet bombing daytime TV,
they have two "real technicians" singing a powell electric song.

i kid you not. when i was couch camping this sunday with a headcold,
i got about 5 commercials from them to help me clear my sinuses.

http://www.powell-electric.com/

if reading the online reviews are any indication, they are masters of the $800 service call.

check out the yelps.... aside from the shill reviews, it's a solid series of 1's...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/powell-electric-los-angeles

perhaps the OP should direct his inquiries to them.... why do radio, when daytime TV is there?

one of their reviews on yelp.... if you followed their model, you could have reviews like this as well......

"Agree with most people below. THIS IS A SCAM. DON'T FALL FOR THE STUPID COMMERCIAL!

They charge you the $70 just to come out. You expect the work can't cost more than $100 or so,
so you agree. They check out the simplest problem and quote you in the thousands. You realize
it's not worth it, pay them 70 bucks, and they are on their way within 10 minutes. They probably
do this all over the city all day and collect money from people without ever doing any work.

The guy who came out to see us for a busted plug looked at our main circuit board and said the
whole thing needed to be replaced for over $5,000!!! We had two other electricians come out
and say that the circuit board was absolutely fine. To top it off (although I am the idiot for not
figuring it out), the only thing causing the plug not to work was that it was controlled by a light
switch which wasnt turned on!!!"

how dare they charge more than the "going rate" .

cowboyjwc

Staff member
how dare they charge more than the "going rate" .

It's not that they charge more than the going rate, it's that they hardly ever fix the original problem that they were called out for. Always head straight for the service.

Gave a guy here at work a quote for $7000 for all the work that was required to fix his problem. I fixed it for the cost of a breaker and a cold soda. Now that's leaving money on the table.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
It's not that they charge more than the going rate, it's that they hardly ever fix the original problem that they were called out for. Always head straight for the service.

Gave a guy here at work a quote for $7000 for all the work that was required to fix his problem. I fixed it for the cost of a breaker and a cold soda. Now that's leaving money on the table.

but it was a really good soda, wasn't it?

Rewire

what was wrong ?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
My opinion always has been that the bigger and more expensive the advertising the bigger the crook. That's because they have to be to afford any kind of effective ad compaign.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.