Voltage drop to guest house

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm calculating the feed to a guest house. It's 230 feet from the meter base to the guest house main panel. The guest house's standard calculation came to 159A. The optional came to 110A. Neutral came to 79A for both. What's a reasonable number of amps to plug into my voltage drop calculation?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I'm calculating the feed to a guest house. It's 230 feet from the meter base to the guest house main panel. The guest house's standard calculation came to 159A. The optional came to 110A. Neutral came to 79A for both. What's a reasonable number of amps to plug into my voltage drop calculation?
I think I would be inclined to split the difference. If budget is an issue maybe go a little more toward the optional calculated value. But one thing I would due for sure is run a full size neutral to help offset any load imbalance due to the fact that your VD calcs are using 240 volt as a basis.

I think I would be inclined to split the difference. If budget is an issue maybe go a little more toward the optional calculated value. But one thing I would due for sure is run a full size neutral to help offset any load imbalance due to the fact that your VD calcs are using 240 volt as a basis.
Get serious!:jawdrop: I've never amprobed a house that was drawing more than half the optional, with the heavy loads on. I was thinking a conservative number would be the optional and neutral averaged.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Get serious!:jawdrop: I've never amprobed a house that was drawing more than half the optional, with the heavy loads on. I was thinking a conservative number would be the optional and neutral averaged.
Well, then you do what you think is best. If you use your method I guess you don't even have to do an Art. 220 calculation as you have never "amprobed a house" that approached the calculated load. Why bother to do the calc? Sorry for offending you, but I hope you will pardon me, as I have only been in the trade for a few months. I used to sell ladies shoes, so I'm still learning.

Well, then you do what you think is best. If you use your method I guess you don't even have to do an Art. 220 calculation as you have never "amprobed a house" that approached the calculated load. Why bother to do the calc? Sorry for offending you, but I hope you will pardon me, as I have only been in the trade for a few months. I used to sell ladies shoes, so I'm still learning.
Allright, that's fair, and funny; texie, thank you. I'm actually a little OCD when it comes to following the code. However, I don't see a clear answer on this one and I was hoping not to have to rely on just my judgement.

Since I'm sizing the guest house's feeder breaker from the optional method, I'm pretty sure the wire won't see more than 110A for very long.

templdl

Allright, that's fair, and funny; texie, thank you. I'm actually a little OCD when it comes to following the code. However, I don't see a clear answer on this one and I was hoping not to have to rely on just my judgement.

Since I'm sizing the guest house's feeder breaker from the optional method, I'm pretty sure the wire won't see more than 110A for very long.

This is just a very minor observation but that has to be one hell of a guest house.
I just couldn't hold it back any farther. Sorry.
What's the main house like?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
This is just a very minor observation but that has to be one hell of a guest house.
I just couldn't hold it back any farther. Sorry.
What's the main house like?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I would use the optional method and not worry about it a bit. You said yourself you have never seen a house load pull near the calculated load. What is it about this guest house that would make it any different?

Upon further reflection don't answer that if you need to be discreet. If there is more than a 110A load then perhaps what happens in the GH should stay in the GH.

Last edited:
What am I missing: Even if you give it a 150 amp service and use minimum wire size for a dwelling unit you are still under 5% at full current....so whats the issue????
One issue is it's 3% to the panel, a total of 5% to the load. Another is it's a 110A service. And I simplified the example, there's a building half way, so I'll have to do the VD calcs in two stages. 1 1/2% for each section.

Sorry to ruin the fantasy guys but the main house isn't going to be much bigger than the guest. At 50 the owner is scaling down. The guest house is a permanent residence for his married daughter.

One issue is it's 3% to the panel, a total of 5% to the load. Another is it's a 110A service. And I simplified the example, there's a building half way, so I'll have to do the VD calcs in two stages. 1 1/2% for each section.

Sorry to ruin the fantasy guys but the main house isn't going to be much bigger than the guest. At 50 the owner is scaling down. The guest house is a permanent residence for his married daughter.

Oh so its a feeder not a service? Either way I am guessing that you are not going to use a 110 amp ocpd....I know its in 310.15 b 6 and all but.....

I did a test once on an all electric house and couldnt get it above 80

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Daughters use more electricity than sons or son in laws no doubt. More hot water too. I know, I am the father of two teenage females. I still don't see any reason to worry about the feed to the guest house. It's NEVER going to pull the calculated load.

iwire

Staff member

You asked for opinions and than give the guy a hard time about it?

You should run six sets of 750 copper.

kwired

Electron manager
I took my lumps, acknowledged same and thanked texie in post 7.

None, it's in the code as a Fine Point Note. I'm just trying to do the right thing at the right price.
Voltage drop is a design issue. The 3 and 5 percent figures are nothing more than suggestions. Some cases specifications for sensitive equipment may require even less voltage drop. Otherwise in a case like yours it kind of comes down to how much load do you wish to have before you start considering the effect of voltage drop. Starting of large motors like an AC compressor are what will be most noticeable but are just about impossible to avoid unless you use soft starting methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.