Code violation in Hospitals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been away for a minute, :) been kinda busy.

Had a friend of mine that says he was cited/ told that he had a code violation in a patient bed location because his normal power receptacle circuits were from 2 differrent panels, both a violation of NFPA 99 and NEC 2008.

He states his work was just an add on to an existing patient room that already had some circuits in there and that they requested more circuits but the existing panel was full, and of course he did not know about the article.

Is there a distance for the definition of a patient bed location in hospitals? Also, does anyone know the article found in NFPA 99 that is violated as well?

Thanks.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Been away for a minute, :) been kinda busy.

Is there a distance for the definition of a patient bed location in hospitals? Also, does anyone know the article found in NFPA 99 that is violated as well?

Thanks.
See the definition of Patient Bed Vicinity and I'll get back to you on the NFPA 99 article tomorrow.

Roger

See the definition of Patient Bed Vicinity and I'll get back to you on the NFPA 99 article tomorrow.

Roger

I see the definition for Patient Care Vicinity, but not Patient Bed Vicinity. The Patient Bed location definition doesn't give a distance specifically so I guess we would have to go off the distances for Patient Care Vicinity ;) I appreciate the help.

What do you think of this scenario where they have normal power from 2 different panels? It appears that if one was to ever add any circuits there later and the existing panel was full, you would have to relocate all the other circuits in that panel just to be compliant. Seems to be a lot to do just for that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Dear Mr. Roger
thank you so much for the guidance.
However, the section talking about branch not feeder.
can we apply the same rules on feeder? thank you
View attachment 8985
You're welcome. The requirement for "branch circuits" does not apply to feeders so, any equipment supplied by "normal branch" feeders can be from multiple "normal branch" panelboards.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

What do you think of this scenario where they have normal power from 2 different panels? It appears that if one was to ever add any circuits there later and the existing panel was full, you would have to relocate all the other circuits in that panel just to be compliant. Seems to be a lot to do just for that.
Here is the commentary from Annex A of NFPA 99.

The requirement that branch circuits be fed from not more than one distribution panel was introduced for several reasons. A general principal is to minimize possible potential difference betweeen the grounding pins of receptacles in one area by bringing grounding conductors to a common point. A specific reason is to simplify maintenance by making it easier to find the source for the receptacles in a room. This is particularly a problem in hospitals where emergency conditions might require rapid restoration of power.

Roger

Adnan Hasan

The requirement that branch circuits be fed from not more than one distribution panel was introduced for several reasons. A general principal is to minimize possible potential difference betweeen the grounding pins of receptacles in one area by bringing grounding conductors to a common point. A specific reason is to simplify maintenance by making it easier to find the source for the receptacles in a room. This is particularly a problem in hospitals where emergency conditions might require rapid restoration of power.
Roger
Roger, I learned good experience from you.
thank you;)

Roger

I looked in the Annex A, and I am having trouble finding that commentary. Can you tell me exactly where that is found in Annex A NFPA 99 2005 edition?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I looked in the Annex A, and I am having trouble finding that commentary. Can you tell me exactly where that is found in Annex A NFPA 99 2005 edition?
Right this moment I don't have the 2005 in front of me but, I do have a 2002 which I think is the same and it is "A.4.3.2.2.1(A)

Roger

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
You're welcome. The requirement for "branch circuits" does not apply to feeders so, any equipment supplied by "normal branch" feeders can be from multiple "normal branch" panelboards.

Roger
Do we've a conflict with this section 517.19(a)? may be my interpretation can go either way, where the ment is the circuit or the panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.