Brown smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I think that applies to heat detectors. Painting them would have an adverse affect on the rating and functionality of the unit. You can take smoke detectors apart, remove the electronics and spray paint the housings. Or, you can try darkening them with shoe polish. The down side of doing this is that if the unit ever becomes defective it's not a simple change out. You have to go through the dis-assembly re-assembly process all over again.

My First Alert smoke detectors say DO NOT PAINT on them.

kwired

Electron manager
My First Alert smoke detectors say DO NOT PAINT on them.
They have to mark them, some people are not smart enough to realize you have to protect the internals or plug air circulation openings if you do paint them.

The problem though is that there is not enough surface area to apply all possible warning labels that may apply, so they just choose what seems to be the most common things that come up.

And if your house burns down and the smoke detector was painted...... what does that have to do with insurance coverage?

The painted detector did not cause the fire. Now if someone was killed in that fire, there could be a debate over whether or not painting the detector may have helped save that life. Smoke detectors are people protection and not property protection devices.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
They have to mark them, some people are not smart enough to realize you have to protect the internals or plug air circulation openings if you do paint them.

The problem though is that there is not enough surface area to apply all possible warning labels that may apply, so they just choose what seems to be the most common things that come up.

And if your house burns down and the smoke detector was painted...... what does that have to do with insurance coverage?

The painted detector did not cause the fire. Now if someone was killed in that fire, there could be a debate over whether or not painting the detector may have helped save that life. Smoke detectors are people protection and not property protection devices.

Conversely, if you had a sprinkler that had been painted and it failed to operate and there was a property loss, then there might be an insurance issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.