NEC 2014 Garages receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why it was forbidden in the 2014 NEC for any branch circuit supplying receptacles inside a garage to supply a receptacle just outside the garage even if is just on the other side of the wall of the garage?

I was just thinking how some Home builders wire their houses, and a lot of times I have seen where they ran a circuit to a receptacle just outside the garage (on the same wall) from the receptacle on the inside of the garage but now that is no longer allowed.

I tried to find the ROC on this but was unable to.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Does anyone know why it was forbidden in the 2014 NEC for any branch circuit supplying receptacles inside a garage to supply a receptacle just outside the garage even if is just on the other side of the wall of the garage?

I was just thinking how some Home builders wire their houses, and a lot of times I have seen where they ran a circuit to a receptacle just outside the garage (on the same wall) from the receptacle on the inside of the garage but now that is no longer allowed.

I tried to find the ROC on this but was unable to.

look on page 163 here,,

http://www.iaei-western.org/Files/Code/2014/2014_ROP.pdf

Today?s garage has gone from a simple place to park our vehicles out of the elements to locations where home do-it-yourselfers service their vehicles and even convert a portion of the garage space to serve as a workshop. The required single receptacle may be blocked by a fixed appliance or have two appliances utilizing the duplex outlet. Homeowners have resorted to running extension cords from the garage door outlet stapling the cord to the ceiling to have an additional outlet for cord and plug appliances. By requiring and additional outlet for each car space will reduce the use of extension cords being used to extend the branch circuit wiring and provide a safer environment for the homeowner.
Additionally, the panel has chosen to include new language for 2014 requiring the receptacle branch circuit in the garage to only supply outlets within the garage in an effort to recognize the possibility of EV charging (see Proposal 2-180). With that thought in mind, it makes sense to expand the requirements for receptacles in garages to provide at least one receptacle outlet in each car parking space.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It has to do with the possibility of the garage receptacle(s) being used for EV charging. I agree with Orlowski's dissenting opinion. :)

2-180 Log #3263 NEC-P02 Final Action: Accept in Principle
(210.52(G))
Recommendation: Add new text to 210.52(E)(1) to read as follows:
210.52 Dwelling Unit Receptacle Outlets.
[main requirement of 210.52 and 210.52(A) through 210.52(F) unchanged by
this Proposal]
(G) Outlets in Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For a one-
family dwelling, the following provisions shall apply:
(1) At least one receptacle outlet, in addition to those for specific equipment,
shall be installed in each basement, in each attached garage, and in each
detached garage or accessory building with electric power. For receptacle
outlets inside of attached and detached garages, branch circuit(s) supplying
garage receptacle outlets not installed for specific equipment shall have no
other outlets.

(2) Where a portion of the basement is finished into one or more habitable
rooms, each separate unfinished portion shall have a receptacle outlet installed
in accordance with this section.
[remainder of 210.52 unchanged by this Proposal]
Substantiation: Electric vehicles (EVs) and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles
(PHEVs) however are becoming far more prevalent; government goals and
incentives, coupled with petroleum pricing and global warming consequences,
in coming years will augment this trend amongst dwelling occupants. 15- and
20-ampere garage receptacles are commonly on branch circuits shared by other
outlets in the dwelling unit. NEC? 625.14 however correctly recognizes at 15
and 20 amperes that an electric vehicle charging load is a continuous load
(persists longer than 3 hours to full recharge). Since even so-called Level 1
electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE), cord-and-plug-connected, is rated
typically at the maximum allowable under Table 210.21(B)(2), 12 amperes, the
garage receptacles required by 210.52(G)(1) that can be connected to the EVSE
should be on branch circuits with no capacity exceeding the Table 210.21(B)(2)
maximum diverted to other outlets on the same branch circuit.
Panel Meeting Action: Accept in Principle
Add the following sentence to (1) of 210.52(G):
?The branch circuit supplying this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets
outside of the garage.?
The panel recognizes that this revision is in addition to the changes made by
2-178a.
Panel Statement: See the action taken on 2-178a.
The panel has added a provision to limit the circuit supplying the garage
outlets to supply only those outlets in the garage.
Number Eligible to Vote: 11
Ballot Results: Affirmative: 11
Comment on Affirmative:
HILBERT, M.: Continue to accept in principle but consider revising the
panel?s meeting action as follows:
The branch circuit supplying this receptacle(s) shall not supply other outlets.
As revised by the ROP meeting action, lighting and other outlets could be
supplied from the receptacle circuit if they were in the garage which is beyond
the recommendation. The submitter?s proposed text limited this branch circuit
to just the 210.52(G) receptacle outlet(s.) This would make sense if this change
is to provide a means for EV charging.
ORLOWSKI, S.: NAHB urges the panel to reject this proposed change. The
concern for providing a dedicated branch circuit for electric vehicle charging
and not allowing any other outlets on this dedicated branch circuit was
addressed in CP212. If this proposal should be approved, it would now require
an additional branch circuit to feed the receptacle(s) in the garage and no other
receptacles. There has been a long standing practice in the code to allow a
single branch circuit to supply the required receptacles in the garage, the
unfinished basement and the
exterior receptacles. Why are we now going to require the garage receptacle(s)
to be on a dedicated branch circuit serving no other outlets and not permit them
to feed a exterior receptacle or a security light. No information was provided to
justify this change nor was any data provided to show that the current
allowance by the NEC was a hazard.

shortcircuit2

This is the new code section...

(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. [ROP 2?178a, ROP 2?180]

It is common practice now to run a separate circuit to the garage receptacle and install a GFCI device and then come off the load side to pick up the garage door openers.

Here is a new vehicle charging section...

210.17 Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit. Outlet(s) installed
for the purpose of charging electric vehicles shall be
supplied by a separate branch circuit. This circuit shall have
no other outlets. [ROP 2?128a]
Informational Note: See 625.2 for the definition of ?Electrical
Vehicle?. [ROP 2?128a]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

CMP-2 has lost touch with the scope of the NEC? Best guess I have. :happyno:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
CMP-2 has lost touch with the scope of the NEC? Best guess I have. :happyno:
I agree as well as the fact that this rule will maybe help a few as many of the chargers I see are 30 amp 240V or even larger. My guess is most electric car vehicle owners will want a faster recharge then the 120V models can handle

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I agree as well as the fact that this rule will maybe help a few as many of the chargers I see are 30 amp 240V or even larger. My guess is most electric car vehicle owners will want a faster recharge then the 120V models can handle

Before you know it NEC will require a 240V-40A circuit "just in case" the home owner decides to have an electric vehicle.

One of local jurisdictions requires that every new construction to have a 240V EV circuit in the garage.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
One of local jurisdictions requires that every new construction to have a 240V EV circuit in the garage.
A couple years ago a "local jurisdiction" (I can't remember if it was just Seattle or if it was the state of Washington) tried to pass a local rule to the effect that all new construction of dwelling units had to have (and here I don't recall the actual wording) some form of "infrastructure" to support the future installation of EV charging stations. The debate included whether that just meant we had to reserve space on the wall (and working clearance) to put a charger, or whether it meant there had to be a spare conduit from a branch circuit panel to the location of that space on the wall, or whether it meant that there had to be a way to install such a conduit later (i.e., without drammatic measures, such as drilling holes in block walls). I don't think it passed, and my guess is that nobody could decide what the rule was to say and what it was to mean.

kwired

Electron manager
I won't say there are no electric vehicles around the area where I live, but I have yet to see one and I don't know of anybody that has one. I also get a feeling they will not become all that popular anytime soon around here. In cities maybe you will see more of them, in rural areas I think they will be somewhat limited in use, for now anyway. It is putting the cart ahead of the horse in those areas. Whether it is the right thing or not, many of us like our big SUV's in these parts, and if we want an economy ride we generally have ATV's as that option - and yes people are driving ATV's on public roads quite frequently around here, and they cost a lot less than an EV.

Status
Not open for further replies.