NC 2014 NEC Adoption

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

I heard the other day at our local contractor's association meeting that NC may not be adopting the upcoming code. Has anyone heard the same thing or any other news about possible date of enforcement? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is correct. At this point they have decided to go on a 6 year cycle. Whether they adopt the 2014 or 2017 at that point is any ones guess. I saw a local supplier had the 2014 NEC in stock -- I told them and they were unaware of that rule. Guess they will be sitting there for a while. I got one anyone just to stay informed.

That is correct. At this point they have decided to go on a 6 year cycle. Whether they adopt the 2014 or 2017 at that point is any ones guess. I saw a local supplier had the 2014 NEC in stock -- I told them and they were unaware of that rule. Guess they will be sitting there for a while. I got one anyone just to stay informed.

Sometimes I wonder is it really necessary for the NFPA to put out a code every 3 years. I do not see a lot of truly 'safety related' language added in these recent codes. Most of it to me is just for more selling of manufacturers products.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Sometimes I wonder is it really necessary for the NFPA to put out a code every 3 years. I do not see a lot of truly 'safety related' language added in these recent codes. Most of it to me is just for more selling of manufacturers products.
The major arguably safety related language changes are, IMHO, in areas like PV and EV-charging where the technology and the installed base are changing rapidly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the 3 year cycle is about $$$$ which includes selling codebooks and requiring code update classes for every new code cycle, etc. If there is something horribly dangerous in the current NEC the NFPA can issue a TIA. IMO the cycles should be every 4 or 5 years. The real problem with that is that current technology is changing so rapidly that the NEC probably wouldn't keep up.

360Youth

Same here. I just talked to one of our suppliers a couple of days later and his jaw dropped a little.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.