Cord connected appliances?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashtrak

OK guys, heres my next question.
Our County recently adopted new code cycle.
My last permit was before the new code cycle.
I was recently informed that the disposal and dishwasher on my most recent permit needed to be cord connected.
I was also told that a lock out would be accepted on breaker.
I wanted to know what other people are doing to satisfy the code in this respect.
What your ahj is accepting?
If cord connected, is sj accepted with cord caps ok?
If so is a romex connector acceptable on disposal and dishwasher,as opposed to strain relief.
Why would a lockout be acceptable.
Sorry, I'm always learning.

Thanks again

iwire

Staff member
'Officially' If you use a cord it must be one listed for that appliance. I think most people just use generic appliance cords available at supply houses or Home Depot.

The connector would have to be listed for cord.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

Thanks again
There must be a disconnect for the wiring to the dishwasher and disposal to allow servicing. If they are cord connected, then removing the cord from the receptacle would serve as that disconnect, and it would be easily accessible and in sight of the appliance.
If that option is not available, then the NEC allows for a lockable disconnect such as a lockable breaker somewhere out of sight of the appliance.
If you are going to rely on the lockable breaker, it must be a real lock, not just a screwdriver actuated mechanism, and the provision for the lock must remain in place even when the lock is removed.
I would imagine that a surface mount disconnect hard-wired under the sink would be acceptable too. In that case (in sight of the appliance) it would not have to be lockable. You do not need to necessarily remove all power from the circuit, just from that wiring which is connected directly to the appliance.

ceb58

OK guys, heres my next question.
Our County recently adopted new code cycle.
My last permit was before the new code cycle.
I was recently informed that the disposal and dishwasher on my most recent permit needed to be cord connected.
I was also told that a lock out would be accepted on breaker.
I wanted to know what other people are doing to satisfy the code in this respect.
What your ahj is accepting?
If cord connected, is sj accepted with cord caps ok?
If so is a romex connector acceptable on disposal and dishwasher,as opposed to strain relief.

Thanks again

Read over 400.7(A)(8) & (B) also 422.16 (A) & (B)(2) and 422.31(B), 2011
Unless I am missing something, if it is cord and plug connected you will not / do not need the lock out on the breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.