Just never know when you need a breaker to trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

We going to replace the old furnace with a new 80% efficiency furnace $1900.00. The last summer repairs replaced the AC unit outside and new coils to match the outside unit.

We are working with a home warranty on this. An HVAC contractor submitted a 90% efficient furnace but was rejected by the home warranty.

Home warrantees are interesting to work with. They have no contractors in this area willing to work with them. They have a clause in the warrantee program that states if they can?t get a contractor through their network I can get my own.

What you find out from the contractors is they won?t work with the warranty company because they agree to the fees up front then beat the contractor down to 60 or 70 percent of what they agreed to pay at the end after they do the work. So the only way is to pay the contractor up front and I have to collect the reimbursement from the warranty company.

The warranty company beats me down on $1,900.00 they will pay. They will not pay $450.00 (there estimated cost) for the new chimney liner that the new furnace has to have, they actual liner will be around $300.00 They then deduct such things as what they call typical cost for disposal of the old furnace, permit fees, even though there is no permit fee for this repair and the contractor did not include that in there estimate.

After all the deductions I will have to pay $900.00 and the warranty company will pay around a thousand. I have to present to the warrantee company a receipt for the total played in full, then they will send me a check for around $1000.00

kwired

Electron manager
We going to replace the old furnace with a new 80% efficiency furnace $1900.00. The last summer repairs replaced the AC unit outside and new coils to match the outside unit.

We are working with a home warranty on this. An HVAC contractor submitted a 90% efficient furnace but was rejected by the home warranty.

Home warrantees are interesting to work with. They have no contractors in this area willing to work with them. They have a clause in the warrantee program that states if they can?t get a contractor through their network I can get my own.

What you find out from the contractors is they won?t work with the warranty company because they agree to the fees up front then beat the contractor down to 60 or 70 percent of what they agreed to pay at the end after they do the work. So the only way is to pay the contractor up front and I have to collect the reimbursement from the warranty company.

The warranty company beats me down on $1,900.00 they will pay. They will not pay $450.00 (there estimated cost) for the new chimney liner that the new furnace has to have, they actual liner will be around $300.00 They then deduct such things as what they call typical cost for disposal of the old furnace, permit fees, even though there is no permit fee for this repair and the contractor did not include that in there estimate.

After all the deductions I will have to pay $900.00 and the warranty company will pay around a thousand. I have to present to the warrantee company a receipt for the total played in full, then they will send me a check for around $1000.00
I realize this is just a typo, but you probably were actually "played in full".

I am assuming this is some kind of insurance policy though it may not technically be from the insurance industry. You pay a periodical fee and they repair whatever is covered in the plan - with a bunch of fine print on limitations. Most cases you are better off to bite the bullet and replace that furnace when it needs it and invest that extra monthly payment to this company into some kind of fund that you can draw from when the next major appliance bites the dust. They are not going to have what is in your best interest in mind, just whatever is most profitable for them. Without pressure from you to replace this they likely would rather see this furnace repaired for a few more years instead of replaced as they likely profit more from that situation. Furnaces like that one are generally not that expensive or very complicated to service, as long as the combustion chamber is not compromised and leaking carbon monoxide into the heated space.

cadpoint

You might want to have a new cut-off valve!, you might also look at the rest of your gas line
there should not be any build up like that on valve or any joints, like valve and the union coupling.

The bottom piece of pipe below the feed, is the catch pipe for things in gas. I'll bet that's packed.

Glad everything is OK, otherwise!

PS they can scope the gas line, I'd ask that they do!

Last edited:

Ragin Cajun

Go with the 90% or you will regret it for years!

Think about small claims court for the crooked warranty bunch.

You also should add a dedicated gas shut off valve for the furnace.

RC

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't know you could still buy 80% efficiency furnaces. You would also think the Department of Energy would have banned them like they have inefficient light bulbs.

rogerp

The Department of Energy has agreed to reverse its pending minimum efficiency standards for gas furnaces in the northern states. This reversal comes in the form of a settlement of the American Public Gas Association's (APGA) challenge of the new regulations in the United States Court of Appeals in D.C. The settlement is pending approval by the court.

Assuming this settlement is accepted by the court, 80% efficiency gas furnaces will continue to be legal to install until further notice. This is good news for many Seattle and Washington State homeowners who stood to have some of the lower cost furnace replacement options be taken away by the new regulations.

kwired

Electron manager
I also noticed a brass connector on the pilot(?) tube that probably should have been screwed in somewhere.
I think what you see is on the thermocouple, I have seen several replacements that have this fitting but the mount for the probe end doesn't always use it, but you can not easily remove it without damaging the thermocouple either so they just hang there looking like something was missed.

dwellselectric

Inactive, Email Never Verified
I just had the same thing happen to me on a job. Turned out the damper motor failed to own causing a rollback in the flame. Roasted the whole insides of the furnace. Didn't even trip the breaker.

tshea

The warranty company beats me down on $1,900.00 they will pay.

Glad no one was hurt!

For the exact reason you state we stopped working for the Warranty companies long ago.
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.