Exterior track

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwm1752

Paste to your browser to see web page -- Please Comment on what you think about application & code

http://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=cat&cat_id=63

Lighting Track.
A manufactured assembly designed to support and energize luminaires that are capable of being readily repositioned on the track. Its length can be altered by the addition or subtraction of sections of track.
XIV. Lighting Track
410.151 Installation
(C) Locations Not Permitted. Lighting track shall not be
installed in the following locations:
(1) Where likely to be subjected to physical damage
(2) In wet or damp locations
(3) Where subject to corrosive vapors
(4) In storage battery rooms
(5) In hazardous (classified) locations
(6) Where concealed
(7) Where extended through walls or partitions
(8) Less than 1.5 m (5 ft) above the finished floor except
where protected from physical damage or track operating
at less than 30 volts rms open-circuit voltage
(9) Where prohibited by 410.10(D)

mwm1752

Did you look at any of the fixtures? The spec sheet claims they are UL approved for wet location. I agree the lighting track & starter make no claim in the specs. Do you know of a wet location monopoint?

iwire

Staff member
Did you look at any of the fixtures? The spec sheet claims they are UL approved for wet location. I agree the lighting track & starter make no claim in the specs. Do you know of a wet location monopoint?

I did not bother to look at fixtures, I downloaded the track and power supply sheets. No mention of UL listing. As far as I am concerned I can't install it under the NEC.

mwm1752

found the manufacture -- the track is nothing more than an encloser for exterior landscape wire (which is not inclusive) and I believe the fixtures are able to mount to the enclosure in which they attach to the wire. The rest of the story -- I do not believe I can define this as lighting track

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Lighting track is not defined by a voltage parameter & a NRTL listing is required for all luminaires

And the catalog states, I believe, that they are ETL listed, but not to what UL standard.

Lighting track as described in the NEC seems to refer, although not explicitly, to the kind which contains shrouded bare contact surfaces rather than just serving as a mechanical mount for landscape wire and luminaires with insulation piercing connectors.

Tapatalk!

mwm1752

And the catalog states, I believe, that they are ETL listed, but not to what UL standard.

Lighting track as described in the NEC seems to refer, although not explicitly, to the kind which contains shrouded bare contact surfaces rather than just serving as a mechanical mount for landscape wire and luminaires with insulation piercing connectors.

Tapatalk!

10-4 -- the previous comment was strictly about the "12v does it matter" -- The luminaire system I originally questioned is not a lighting track per code definition

mgookin

Paste to your browser to see web page -- Please Comment on what you think about application & code

http://www.lightology.com/index.php?module=cat&cat_id=63

Lighting Track.
A manufactured assembly designed to support and energize luminaires that are capable of being readily repositioned on the track. Its length can be altered by the addition or subtraction of sections of track.
XIV. Lighting Track
410.151 Installation
(C) Locations Not Permitted. Lighting track shall not be
installed in the following locations:
(1) Where likely to be subjected to physical damage
(2) In wet or damp locations
(3) Where subject to corrosive vapors
(4) In storage battery rooms
(5) In hazardous (classified) locations
(6) Where concealed
(7) Where extended through walls or partitions
(8) Less than 1.5 m (5 ft) above the finished floor except
where protected from physical damage or track operating
at less than 30 volts rms open-circuit voltage
(9) Where prohibited by 410.10(D)

Does that definition mean the track has to energize the lights in order to be restricted by that Article? This system uses a separate wiring system. The track in this case does not "...energize luminaires..."

Call the manufacturer and debate it with them. Then call AHJ, and if they're not sold, tell the manufacturer to call AHJ or else you need to use someone else's product.

mwm1752

Also the channel is designed for protection of a field installed wire -- lighting track is a manufactured assembly of various components

mwm1752

Does that definition mean the track has to energize the lights in order to be restricted by that Article? This system uses a separate wiring system. The track in this case does not "...energize luminaires..."

Call the manufacturer and debate it with them. Then call AHJ, and if they're not sold, tell the manufacturer to call AHJ or else you need to use someone else's product.

see post 5,7,& 9

Status
Not open for further replies.