Snap together aboveground pools...exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLyons

I was asked to install an outlet for one of those simple snap together above ground pools. I told the owner I couldn't just put in a outlet until I knew if said pool fell under the usual nec bonding rules.

Here is the exact model In question

So my question is the #8 wire around the pool with 4 points of contact ending at the motor along with the water bond would be required for such a pool?
The hose connections for the pump look proprietary so It doesn't look like I can easily do the 1" thread in water bond using a standard cpvc tee. The skimmer is definitely not big enough for the plate style bond either.

Where do metal removable ladder fall under this?

The pump is all plastic and has no ground lug and comes with a 25' factory whip with a gfi plug.
Would a GFI circuit still be required? and is the 25' lead even legal in a permanent installation?

In my own town any pool that is over a certain height (I think it said 2') and surface area that doesn't get emptied every night is required to be installed under the normal nec pool standards. Towns are requiring permanent fencing around the blow up ring style pools and any non rigid side pool 48" of less.

I'll call the inspector I know from the towns approved list and see what is required but wanted to see what is going on in the rest of the country

Joe Villani

I would be cautious on this one.

The dimensions call out 24" X 52" which would make it too deep for a storable pool.

The pump appears to be for storable pools and may need to be changed.

If the depth is 52" the pool would need to be treated as a permanent pool.

Joe.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would be cautious on this one.

The dimensions call out 24" X 52" which would make it too deep for a storable pool.

The pump appears to be for storable pools and may need to be changed.

If the depth is 52" the pool would need to be treated as a permanent pool.

Joe.

I agree and would treat it like an in-ground pool. If the customer doesn't like that, I would walk away!

Side rant: I wished there was some type ruling that these pool retailers have to disclose to the customer all the NEC requirements and what type pools they are buying, and require the customer to sign saying they read the disclosure.

I've had people call me about installing the electric to these above ground pools. They said the pool place said it shouldn't cost more than $100 for the electrical, which they usually tell them "you just need a place to plug it in"!:rant:

mgookin

I agree and would treat it like an in-ground pool. If the customer doesn't like that, I would walk away!

Side rant: I wished there was some type ruling that these pool retailers have to disclose to the customer all the NEC requirements and what type pools they are buying, and require the customer to sign saying they read the disclosure.

I've had people call me about installing the electric to these above ground pools. They said the pool place said it shouldn't cost more than $100 for the electrical, which they usually tell them "you just need a place to plug it in"!:rant:

Do you understand what you're asking for? An honest salesman. :lol:

I'm surprised on that north facing solar thread salesmen aren't telling them they can bury them if they don't want to see them.

RLyons

No salesman guys.

You can pretty much pick one of these bad boys up at Walmart, Costco, BJ's ect...

Still waiting to hear from inspector.

All sorts of stuff that is illegal is sold, installed and nothing ever happens...Like all the butt heads that like to WOT their motorcycles and cars with illegal exhausts right near my house because of the underpass.

Sorry, been getting hot and haven't put window ac's in yet so I'm cranky *Shacking cane Emoji*

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
The responses here kinda lost me. The pool in question here (as shown) is Storable Swimming, Wading Pools. It needs to meet 680 Part I and III.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RLyons

The responses here kinda lost me. The pool in question here (as shown) is Storable Swimming, Wading Pools. It needs to meet 680 Part I and III.

Thanks for the reply.

So I see 680 say pool 42" or less is this correct?

Manufacturer spec says 52" wall with 90% max fill capacity. This would be around 46" of water?

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Who said 24 feet...I looked up the pool and it was 24 inches deep. See the link they provided to the actual pool....explain to me where in the NEC it refers to diameter in being storable versus permanent.

iwire

Staff member
Who said 24 feet...I looked up the pool and it was 24 inches deep. See the link they provided to the actual pool....explain to me where in the NEC it refers to diameter in being storable versus permanent.

The OP posted the link in the first post, here are the dimensions given

24 ft x 52 in Metal Frame Pool Set w/ Sand Filter Pump & Maintenance Kit

Not sure where you found 24".

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
ahh...see told you it was confusing. Regardless the diameter is pointless. The depth of the storage pool shown in the origional OP post has a depth less than 48" so defer to 680 Part I and III.

iwire

Staff member
ahh...see told you it was confusing. Regardless the diameter is pointless. The depth of the storage pool shown in the origional OP post has a depth less than 48" so defer to 680 Part I and III.

48"?

Storable Swimming, Wading, or Immersion Pool. Those that are constructed on or above the ground and are capable of holding water to a maximum depth of 1.0 m (42 in.), or a pool with nonmetallic, molded polymeric walls or inflatable fabric walls regardless of dimension.

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
Dang it iwire...you know what meant...I just started using this tapatalk thing...but I aint using it anymore...lol

MasterTheNEC

Occupation
CEO
ahh...see told you it was confusing. Regardless the diameter is pointless. The depth of the storage pool shown in the origional OP post has a depth less than 42" so defer to 680 Part I and III.

Yes, I meant 42"...thus ends my experience with Tapatalk...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.