Snap together aboveground pools...exempt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

I was asked to install an outlet for one of those simple snap together above ground pools. I told the owner I couldn't just put in a outlet until I knew if said pool fell under the usual nec bonding rules.

Here is the exact model In question

So my question is the #8 wire around the pool with 4 points of contact ending at the motor along with the water bond would be required for such a pool?
The hose connections for the pump look proprietary so It doesn't look like I can easily do the 1" thread in water bond using a standard cpvc tee. The skimmer is definitely not big enough for the plate style bond either.

Where do metal removable ladder fall under this?

The pump is all plastic and has no ground lug and comes with a 25' factory whip with a gfi plug.
Would a GFI circuit still be required? and is the 25' lead even legal in a permanent installation?

In my own town any pool that is over a certain height (I think it said 2') and surface area that doesn't get emptied every night is required to be installed under the normal nec pool standards. Towns are requiring permanent fencing around the blow up ring style pools and any non rigid side pool 48" of less.

I'll call the inspector I know from the towns approved list and see what is required but wanted to see what is going on in the rest of the country

iwire

Staff member
This whole topic is kind of a joke as I bet 99.9% of persons buying this type of pool don't hire an electrician to wire.

You buy it at Walmart, you find a flat spot in the yard, assemble it, fill it and run an extension cord to it.

Source of this info? Family, friends and myself. :D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Based on the info at the linked page. I would say of the pool in question:
polymeric -- yes
molded -- no.
I think it has seams in extruded sheet plastic instead.

Tapatalk!

Status
Not open for further replies.