2014 406.4(D)(4) Replacement Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
when spoke of a switch leg not having a grounding conductor I mean just that. If you drive a nail through a wire or a the hot comes in contact with a metal box that is ungrounded the box becomes live. This can create a problem. If a grounded system the circuit will shunt and the breaker or fuse should trip. Same goes for a 220 device with no ground.

As far as EMF. With a proper grounding system EMF are not a problem I have used a Guass meter to check. When problems are found it is because of improper wiring. I had owned a old apartment house many years ago that had K&T. When we re-wired some units we greatly reduced the EMF in compared to the original units. We did one building at a time. Each building was identical to the others. There were 6 buildings. The EMF levels with K&T are far greater than that of a properly grounded system as such tested.

I don't buy your theory. Do anything wrong and you can expect the worst. I don't think we should have ungrounded systems because the plumber might open the ground or the utility looses the ground at the Xfmr.
Well I tried. Thanks for reading. Until you can see that the EGC and the grounded service conductor are two very different animals, you aren't going to understand my points.

M. D.

Al , I have been converted , the words say what they say , as they say . I would also say that to modify a circuit can consist of nothing more than the new receptacle .

MODIFY : make partial or minor changes to (something), typically so as to improve it or to make it less extreme. So do we need to add something less than 6 feet of wire or does the modification of just a new receptacle meet the exception .

M. D.

I would also add that 110.3 (b) says instructions that are part of the listing and labeling ... not all instructions are part of the listing and labeling,.. if they were every time a change were made they would need to be resubmitted . I learned this first hand from the senior engineer for Climate Master .. I had a disagreement with an inspector over a note in their instructions and after many conversations they simply removed the note from the wire sizing table . When I raised the 110.3(b) issued he said the installation instructions were not part of the listing and labeling instructions .. that they reserved the right to change them as necessary . Sure enough ,he directed me to the web site and the note was gone from the electronic version and would no longer appear in the printed version as well. The question is: How are we to know what is and what is not part of the listing and labeling instructions?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I would also add that 110.3 (b) says instructions that are part of the listing and labeling ... not all instructions are part of the listing and labeling,.. if they were every time a change were made they would need to be resubmitted.
That's an interesting notion.

I now have an Eaton TRAFCI-15. Its UL File Number is E341748 which leads to a Category Code of AWBZ .

The text:
These devices are intended to be installed as the first outlet in a branch circuit.
is prominent. . . but what I find interesting is the following diagram (in the UL Guide Info for AWBZ) labels the "Branch Circuit Wiring - Beyond First Leg" and what it labels contains various outlets. Now, I infer that the label "Branch Circuit Wiring - First Leg" may also include various outlets.

(There are also additional twists of language and info in the Eaton OBC AFCI installation instructions. I'll get it scanned and up later tonight. Gotta get into the field now.)

Last edited:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Well I tried. Thanks for reading. Until you can see that the EGC and the grounded service conductor are two very different animals, you aren't going to understand my points.

I know the difference from a grounded(N) conductor and a grounding conductor( EGC)
One is current carry or unbalanced load and one is the equipment ground to pass a fault to ground and open the overcurrent device.

Is there something different you speak of?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Notice the AFCI device must also be installed in a box with only two 2-wire cables.

When I read these Eaton TRAFCI-15 Installation Instructions, the first thing that sticks out to me is, under 3. Should you install it?, at the very last bullet point is the quote, "If you do not fully understand these instructions, you should seek the assistance of a qualified electrician." This sheet is a generalized instruction, and the inference is that a qualified electrician knows more than contained within this document. Therefore, it is not the COMPLETE instruction. (Thanks M.D. for jogging my brain. :cool: )

Along this same line, the second image below in 6. Identify cable / wires says to contact a "qualified electrician" when there are more than two wires (not including the grounding wire)

And, most importantly, at the very beginning of this Installation document is the "CAUTION! Must be installed in accordance with national and local electrical codes."

And in this lower right box, just above, titled Placement in circuit I note that "circuit", as well as "branch" are not defined in NEC Article 100 Definitions. Therefore, I think it is a mistake to read "The OBC Type AFCI must be placed as the first outlet in the circuit. Always place OBC Type AFCI in postistion [sic.] A. All outlets of the protected branch, including lighting and receptacle outlets, must be connected to the load side of the AFCI," as "The OBC AFCI must be the first outlet of the branch circuit."

Last edited:

shortcircuit2

Al...

Most all instructions say "Qualified Somebody" must do the installation. So instructions with products need not be followed at all then, because then are generalized? Am I to decide what part of the instructions is relevant and what is gibberish?

Here in Massachusetts, you need not be a licensed electrician to install this product in your home. So I would say the statement in the instructions to "seek the assistance of a qualified electrician" is needed language for the consumer who buys the product at the home store and attempts to install it themselves. This language protects the manufacturer also.

110.3(B) says to install listed equipment according with any instructions included in the listing and labeling. Are not the instructions that come with equipment part of the listing and labeling? Are there different instructions one should follow?

I'm confused by these statements. Please give more guidance on what instructions one should follow other than the instructions with the equipment.

shortcircuit2

Al , I have been converted , the words say what they say , as they say . I would also say that to modify a circuit can consist of nothing more than the new receptacle .

MODIFY : make partial or minor changes to (something), typically so as to improve it or to make it less extreme. So do we need to add something less than 6 feet of wire or does the modification of just a new receptacle meet the exception .

But a circuit does NOT include the receptacle outlet device.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Here in Massachusetts, you need not be a licensed electrician to install this product in your home. So I would say the statement in the instructions to "seek the assistance of a qualified electrician" is needed language for the consumer who buys the product at the home store and attempts to install it themselves. This language protects the manufacturer also.
I do agree with you. These instructions, upon reading them more carefully, are starting to expose their limits, and you are describing perfectly the limits in the Eaton Installation Instructions that I show in my post above. Eaton's words don't try to instruct how to deal with a switched leg or a second circuit energized conductor, but they allow that "something" might be there as they allow there might be six conductors, yet Eaton is careful not to instruct what to do, except get the help of a qualified electrician. Eaton is saying the wiring in the receptacle outlet box may be more complicated than what we show or describe, and that's OK, but you need to know what you are doing.

110.3(B) says to install listed equipment according with any instructions included in the listing and labeling. Are not the instructions that come with equipment part of the listing and labeling? Are there different instructions one should follow?
Take a look at my post # 84 (click here) and click on the UL Category Code for an OBC AFCI to get the UL Certifications Guide Info (the White Book). Based upon the White Book language and diagram, I am changing my previous concern that there is a 110.3(B) conflict and:

I think it is a mistake to read "The OBC Type AFCI must be placed as the first outlet in the circuit. Always place OBC Type AFCI in postistion [sic.] A. All outlets of the protected branch, including lighting and receptacle outlets, must be connected to the load side of the AFCI," as if it is saying "The OBC AFCI must be the first outlet of the branch circuit."

al hildenbrand

Occupation
But a circuit does NOT include the receptacle outlet device.
Sure it does. If the "receptacle outlet device" is no longer present at the (Article 100) receptacle outlet, then there is only an junction box, there is no outlet. Note also that the definition of Premises Wiring (System) includes "wiring devices" as an included part.

The outlet is the point on the wiring system at which current is taken for the utilization equipment. I submit that is the contact point between the cord plug male tines and the female contacts of the receptacle.

Last edited:

shortcircuit2

Sure it does. If the "receptacle outlet device" is no longer present at the (Article 100) receptacle outlet, then there is only an junction box, there is no outlet. Note also that the definition of Premises Wiring (System) includes "wiring devices" as an included part.

The outlet is the point on the wiring system at which current is taken for the utilization equipment. I submit that is the contact point between the cord plug male tines and the female contacts of the receptacle.

If the outlet is removed, there still exists a branch circuit...that ends in the junction box and originates at the overcurrent protective device.

By definition the outlet is not part of the branch circuit. The branch circuit is between the overcurrent protection and the outlet. I can change or modify the overcurrent protection or the outlet and I'm not messing with the branch circuit.

Because the language in the instructions are similar for both the Leviton and the Eaton OBC AFCI device, I would say that the language comes from the listing.

shortcircuit

al hildenbrand

Occupation
If the outlet is removed, there still exists a branch circuit...that ends in the junction box and originates at the overcurrent protective device.
No. I don't think so. Read the definition of branch circuit. A branch circuit ends at the outlet. The junction box cant be the end of the branch circuit until an outlet is present.

To the point of the OBC AFCI being required or not, if the wiring from the OCPD to the outlet doesn't include the "outlet device", then a part is missing and there is not an "outlet". Again, the "outlet" is the point at which the current is taken from the wiring system for utilization equipment. That is, in the case of this thread, a "receptacle outlet". No receptacle, no outlet, no branch circuit. . . just wire from an OCPD dead ending in a box. The intended load can't be plugged in until the device is added.

The receptacle device is very much part of the branch circuit.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security Board of Fire Prevention Regulations

Question:
For receptacle outlets subject to mandatory AFCI protection under current requirements in the Massachusetts Electrical Code, does 406.4(D)(4) require receptacle replacements in such location to have AFCI protection either inherently or on their supply side, and regardless of the reason for the replacement or the previous status of AFCI protection?

Answer:
Yes.

Looks like the Questioner is using different words to say "as specified elsewhere in this Code." This is not the real question. Rather, I'd ask whether adding new pigtails at a receptacle replacement invokes 210.12(B) Exception as the IAEI has printed in its Analysis of Changes _ 2014 NEC?

2014 NEC
406.4(D)(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
Where a receptacle outlet is supplied by a branch circuit that requires arc-fault circuit-interrupter protection as specified elsewhere in this Code, . . . .

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
:? I don't understand? Are you being ironic?

Ironic , sarcastic , what ever you like.
I have been saying that is the read of the code for months. I don't like it. it is what it is.
For several years folks here have said the code does not intend for afci to be used when repairs or replacements are made.
I would love it if AHJ were on the same page and the code was not written such that it is open to interpetation. Like give an example in the code " AFCI required when replacing a broken receptacle and current code would require it in new contstruction."

To me this would be obvious but others make the obvious into something else.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
To me this would be obvious but others make the obvious into something else.

I agree with the Massachusetts interpretation. But don't find that it says anything more than the NEC does in 406.

The passage doesn't say "when you replace a receptacle, it has to be AFCI protected", rather, it says, go to the rest of the NEC to find out if you have to install AFCI protection when you replace a receptacle.

The "after thought": I mean, if all it said was AFCI must be added, then we'd be installing AFCI protection EVERYWHERE a receptacle is replaced.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.