1/2" SS EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am sure some of you have used stainless steel emt and I have a very small job where I may have to make one 90? bend. I was wondering if that can be done easily with a standard bender or do I have to buy prefab 90's.

This is for lighting on a trellis. Architect wants SS so instead of $100 worth of pipe it will be about $2200. Now he wants SS boxes even though they won't be seen. Do they make SS octagons? I have found 4" sq. SS but have not seen 4" octagon

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
short answer is, SS can be softer/same/harder than mild steel, depends on type of SS. i suspect you can just bend it like normal.

so in essence its just outdoor conduit, thus they want SS? from a short distance wont SS look about the same as clean galvanized ??
sound like a fancy trellis.

Jon456

I am sure some of you have used stainless steel emt and I have a very small job where I may have to make one 90? bend. I was wondering if that can be done easily with a standard bender or do I have to buy prefab 90's.
I don't have any direct experience with SS EMT although I do have some experience machining steel and stainless. And I have performed bends on 3/8" stainless steel seamless tubing using a hand-powered bender; I expect SS EMT would be similar in hardness to SS tubing.

When working with sheet metal shears and brakes, the rule-of-thumb is to derate their capacity by 50% when working with stainless (capacity is normally rated for mild steel). I think that applies more to shearing than to bending. Based on that conservative rule, and my own experience working with stainless tubing, I think you will be fine using a hand bender on your 1/2" EMT.

The thing to remember is that SS will "work harden" significantly. So that after you bend it, the area of deformation will become much harder than it was before. That means you may have great difficulty making any corrections to your bend. If it's just a plain 90, I wouldn't expect any corrections to be necessary. But if it were a more complex bend, you might want to prototype with standard EMT first to get the geometry worked out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
All good info- TY.. I suspected that a hand bender would work but wasn't certain.

The architect wants SS because he doesn't want to see any rust down the road. Apparently he doesn't want to paint it, powder coat it or anything like that so SS is what he will get. Personally I think it is a lot of money for a little show.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
think salt

i was thinking pvc.

but, if the projects says "use SS" then use SS.
SS properties (and price) vary widely depending on type of SS. and pls dont forget, even some SS's will rust.
maybe convince them to pay for SS 321, tell 'em it lasts longer than the 304/316 stuff ;)

GerryB

All good info- TY.. I suspected that a hand bender would work but wasn't certain.

The architect wants SS because he doesn't want to see any rust down the road. Apparently he doesn't want to paint it, powder coat it or anything like that so SS is what he will get. Personally I think it is a lot of money for a little show.

Architects like interior designers have no problem spending other peoples money. I did a pergola on a million dollar house not long ago and was able to staple uf cable along the top of the joists for a ceiling fan and lights, it was mostly hidden. Do they make stainless boxes that are weatherproof?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This does not compare to the Texas woman who has a 3 story 3,000 sq.ft closet that cost $500,000 and has 2 million in jewelry and clothing etc. She has 60 Hermes bags that are $1,000 each or more. How sinful IMO

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have not run any SS EMT, but I used to run tubing. They make special benders for it, Ridged and Imperial were the two most common brands. They support the tubing on both the inside and outside of the bend. I would reccomemd using one.

And what Jonh456 said is very true, once you make your bend your done, one shot at glory. Probably want a few extra sticks.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired

Zero EMT experience in stainless, but the same benders are used for 304,316,and carbon steel in pneumatics and hhydraulics for tubing.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

This is for lighting on a trellis. Architect wants SS so instead of $100 worth of pipe it will be about $2200. Now he wants SS boxes even though they won't be seen. Do they make SS octagons? I have found 4" sq. SS but have not seen 4" octagon

i've used 1/2" schedule 40 stainless conduit.
bends normally. a chicago bender is a nice touch.
threads fine. use a spray cutting lube make for stainless.

now, i've got a rigid bender for tube, that makes the nicest tight bends for exposed work, and
the largest one does 1/2" emt, so it'll do 1/2" SS emt as well, i'd guess. depends on how much
nickel is in the SS. chinese SS isn't really stainless... 304 SS is probably what you're looking at,
316, 440, etc. you don't want to try to bend, imho.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/300-series-plumbing-benders

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Is there actually a company that makes listed SS EMT?
Well Calbrite makes a UL conduit. http://www.calbrite.com/products/emt-conduit.html

Applications:
Calbrite stainless steel EMT conduit and fittings, combine strength with ductility, resulting in a lightweight and easy-to-handle conduit assembly. EMT can be installed indoors and outdoors in accordance with NEC, providing it will not be subject to severe physical damage during and after installation.​

Calbrite stainless steel EMT provides superior performance in applications subject to corrosive environments, harsh chemical treatments and required wash-downs. In addition to the ease of installation and maintenance, stainless steel is 100% recyclable. Calbrite EMT enhances the appearance and the surface's resistance to pitting and bacterial corrosion in CIP (clean-in-place) and
SIP (sterilize-in-place) systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.