Residential Kitchen Countertop Receptacle Risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an opinion survey.
The survey centers around the need for a receptacle below the counter at the edge of a peninsular or at an island. Is the risk greater for a toddler pulling on the 2 foot coffee pot or toaster appliance cord hanging 10 inches below the counter or from the parent not getting their AM quick fix?
On the other hand if there isn't a water source within 6 feet in any direction from the edge of a peninsular or island counter top cannot a product manufacturer come up with a recessed receptacle for those locations to keep crumbs etc. out (sliding seal door comes to mind). I have seen many a hard wood floor with recessed receptacles mopped, waxed and buffed. I just think that recessed fixtures in those locations might be a better control. The GFCI requirements of course would not change.
I look at risk from many directions and this one has always been of particular concern.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are not alone. There are many that share your concern on this matter however unless you can document or substantiate issues with the requirement then it will stay as an NEC rule.

I guess a proposal is in order

I guess a proposal is in order

You are not alone. There are many that share your concern on this matter however unless you can document or substantiate issues with the requirement then it will stay as an NEC rule.

I just cannot find any statistics to support the need to control a risk that in reality is common sense issue. I usually can get the AHJ who is the final authority, and home owner with kids who faces the risk to see my point and they make the right call.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There probably aren't many cases of this type of thing actually happening and IMO your potential scenario isn't worthy of removing it from the code. In fact this is a good code requirement, I use my island receptacle all of the time and probably wouldn't be there if it weren't a code requirement to install one at that location. A kid could drown in a toilet if the lid is left open, you see where I'm going with this?

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
if you have a outlet that is flush mounted to countertop and plug something in, the outlet cover remains open and is still susceptiple to water/dirt entry. but like a flush mount floor outlet that has those brass covers they are only closed when not in use. i suspect there are alternatives to the problem such as using a spring loaded pop-up outlet (push to open, push to close, etc). would a pop up style meet NEC requirement and solve the dangling cord issue ??

d0nut

I just cannot find any statistics to support the need to control a risk that in reality is common sense issue. I usually can get the AHJ who is the final authority, and home owner with kids who faces the risk to see my point and they make the right call.

The simple, common sense answer for homeowners who are afraid that their children may pull an appliance that is plugged in to the peninsula or island receptacle on top of themselves is for the homeowner to not plug an appliance into that receptacle. Problem solved, no code change required.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Having a coffee pot or toaster fall onto a toddler's head would be bad. Having a deep fat fryer fall on a toddler's head would be worse. The manufacturers of the fryers have, for a long time, made the power cord with a quick disconnect feature, as a safety measure for that very scenario. A light tug on the cord and the cord disconnects from the fryer, and the fryer does not get pulled off the counter.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
all good suggestions to not use the outlet, but i am guessing homeowner is looking for a solution to have coffee pot on the counter while at same time not have a dangling cord. there is a construction solution to the problem where you raise a portion of the counter, but for full flat the only solution i can think of is some sort of pop up outlet.

where's the genius coffee pot manufacturers with their Li-Ion battery powered coffee makers?

cmaki

Maybe this is over simplifying this but I have a food processor that has a cord that is easily 4 feet long. I took the cord and wound it to where I needed it and zip tied the excess behind the unit. Couldn't the home owner do something similar with the excess cord? Granted there will still be cord there but it might not be a ton of extra slack and droop for a small child to play with it.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
And another problem is, you eliminate that cord and then they want to do something over there and now you have an extension cord running over to the other counter.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that there is more than on brand of UL listed "pop-up" receptacles for kitchen counter use available now. Maybe it is time to prohibit any receptacles below the counter top.

fmtjfw

ADA

ADA

One reason for receptacles below the counter top is for handicapped accessibility. The standard receptacle placement on the wall behind the counter can not be reached from a wheelchair.

kwired

Electron manager
Having a coffee pot or toaster fall onto a toddler's head would be bad. Having a deep fat fryer fall on a toddler's head would be worse. The manufacturers of the fryers have, for a long time, made the power cord with a quick disconnect feature, as a safety measure for that very scenario. A light tug on the cord and the cord disconnects from the fryer, and the fryer does not get pulled off the counter.
I guess I never gave it much thought, but sounds like a good design. That cord could be pulled on even not plugged in below the countertop. A pot of hot water or hot oil poses a bigger hazard from burns then from a "bump on the head"

And another problem is, you eliminate that cord and then they want to do something over there and now you have an extension cord running over to the other counter.
IMO biggest reason a peninsula or island needs at least one receptacle somewhere. If you have little hopefully you are smart enough to keep them away from those appliances no matter where they are plugged in, but apparently big brother is supposed to tell us how to do things:(

I think that there is more than on brand of UL listed "pop-up" receptacles for kitchen counter use available now. Maybe it is time to prohibit any receptacles below the counter top.
totally a design issue, no need to prohibit any specific location. One could use a tombstone type of outlet box on counter surface or have pendant receptacles hanging from ceiling, or even a "power pole" either directly on or right next to the counter, and still meet code, most of these solutions are not going to satisfy the "decorators" though.

kwired

Electron manager
I think you can make a case that having the receptacle below the counter top is a safety issue.

You can make cases for it being safety issue if above the top as well. Maybe we shouldn't use cords and plugs for anything at all, then those particular safety issues go away:happyyes:

FionaZuppa

Occupation
One reason for receptacles below the counter top is for handicapped accessibility. The standard receptacle placement on the wall behind the counter can not be reached from a wheelchair.
for new construction this problem should be dealt with prior to island being built. another solution is to raise small section of counter to bar height, this leaves a ~5-6" backsplash on one side where you can mount outlet in the vertical, this way a item can be plugged in yet cord wrapped up and not dangling for someone to grab, and, should still be handicap accessible (although i dont know 100% the handicap rules).

Status
Not open for further replies.