Electrical Receptacles in Stairwells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shujinko

Is their any code (NEC or other) that prohibits the use of electrical receptacles in stairwells? I'm in Florida, so any pertinent Florida codes apply. Thanks.

mgookin

It depends on the stairwell.
How many stories?
Do you know if it's a rated stairwell?
Any idea what this receptacle is for?

Where I'm going is if it's a rated stairwell as part of a required means of egress, nothing is allowed in that stairwell except that necessary for egress. This includes risers & treads, landings, lighting, handrails & guardrails, exit signs, sprinklers if sprinkled, smoke control system if high rise, etc.

If you want a receptacle in there for the cleaning lady to plug in her vacuum, check with your AHJ and see how they interpret that. One argument is that it's necessary to keep the stairwell maintained and another argument is that it's an undue risk and she can run a cord if she doesn't smash it in the door. It's a matter of how AHJ interprets it.

And AHJ on that issue is bldg. inspector (bldg. code) and fire marshal (life safety code). I don't know if the NEC addresses this or not, but if so, your electrical inspector too.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Regarding running a cord in through the door, can you count on the cleaner stopping to unplug the cord to let the door close when a fire breaks out?
I would feel better with the receptacle in the stairwell.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have no idea about Florida but there is no NEC code prohibiting the installation of a receptacle in the stairwell.

Shujinko

It depends on the stairwell.
How many stories?
Do you know if it's a rated stairwell?
Any idea what this receptacle is for?

Where I'm going is if it's a rated stairwell as part of a required means of egress, nothing is allowed in that stairwell except that necessary for egress. This includes risers & treads, landings, lighting, handrails & guardrails, exit signs, sprinklers if sprinkled, smoke control system if high rise, etc.

If you want a receptacle in there for the cleaning lady to plug in her vacuum, check with your AHJ and see how they interpret that. One argument is that it's necessary to keep the stairwell maintained and another argument is that it's an undue risk and she can run a cord if she doesn't smash it in the door. It's a matter of how AHJ interprets it.

And AHJ on that issue is bldg. inspector (bldg. code) and fire marshal (life safety code). I don't know if the NEC addresses this or not, but if so, your electrical inspector too.

9-story Hospital, staiwells are rated, receptacle is for window cleaning within the stairwell.

mgookin

9-story Hospital, staiwells are rated, receptacle is for window cleaning within the stairwell.

And you're in Florida. Check with ACHA (because it's a hospital), check with the fire marshal, and check with the building inspector.

I have never worked for ACHA but I'm a graduate of the florida fire college, the national fire academy and former florida building official. I've done many high rises and many hospitals and I'd say it's fine but it's not my call.

That's going to be a 2 hour stairwell and it will also have a smoke control system. You're going to need your own circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.