Service rec for gate operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

III. Disconnecting Means
422.30 General.
I would think the appliance disconnecting rules would kick in. Or the motor disconnecting rules
You didn?t mention the size of the motor

david

I say no as I see nothing in 210 that requires it.​

Are you saying because 210 part III does not require a receptacle to be placed at an electrically operated gate that would in essence not require a disconnecting means for an appliance or for a motor?​

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
Are you saying because 210 part III does not require a receptacle to be placed at an electrically operated gate that would in essence not require a disconnecting means for an appliance or for a motor?

I don't see anything in the OP asking about a disconnecting means:?

david

I don't see anything in the OP asking about a disconnecting means:?

i took the term service rec. to mean a rec. for servicing the gate operator. I may be wrong on what was implied

edit:If by service rec. he met one similar to what would be required at HVAC equipment I agree one is not required

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I would guess that most of the time the owners will want a receptacle for other reasons though.

Now if you had a solar powered charger for the gate operator - if a receptacle were required you possibly now need larger or additional power source:blink:

One other thing that is new in 2014 but would only apply if the gate were supplied by a service is new section 210.64.

DarylH

I have three gates on my property with openers.

Two swinging gates run off battery power that is supplied by a 24 VAC transformer plugged into an outdoor receptacle some distance away from the gate controller.

The main gate is a slider that runs off a service outlet wired directly to the opener. The opener itself does have a single receptacle for service use once you remove the cover, but its ampacity is limited per the sticker above it.

Code or not, an outdoor receptacle near each of these openers would have been a nice touch as I find myself having to run an extension cord when doing work in the area.

iwire

Staff member
Code or not, an outdoor receptacle near each of these openers would have been a nice touch as I find myself having to run an extension cord when doing work in the area.

Nice idea or not unless the customer requests it and is willing to pay for it I would not install one for free.

DarylH

Nice idea or not unless the customer requests it and is willing to pay for it I would not install one for free.

I'm 100% on board with that.

Just offering my experience. It may be helpful for the contractor to suggest to the homeowner that future flexibility of having the outlet is a good investment up front. If they don't see the value, I wouldn't install it for them free just because it makes good sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.