local fire arlarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

we are doing a 105 room hotel. am i required to put a local fire alarm system as well as a adderssable system in each guest room

The FACP will be addressable and it will address the heat detectors, pull stations, return air stream smokes for a means of egress, etc.

Locally in each room you will probably have a smoke detector which is not connected to the FACP.

Contact your local Fire Marshal for specifics. Nothing is more local than fire codes because so much of it is required to be "acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction"

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
we are doing a 105 room hotel. am i required to put a local fire alarm system as well as a adderssable system in each guest room

Check with your AHJ, if your state allows local amendments to adopted standards. In NJ, you could use an addressable panel as the sole means. If you're under some variant of the 2006 IBC, you might not be able to. Assuming that the "nh" in your handle means New Hampshire, you folks are on the 2009 code and it doesn't look like there were any amendments made to section 907, which deals with fire alarms, so you should be good to go. Stand alone smoke and CO alarms would not be required. On the other hand, unless there are other drivers, it's a lot cheaper for the owner to go with stand-alone devices.

nhfire77

Check with your AHJ, if your state allows local amendments to adopted standards. In NJ, you could use an addressable panel as the sole means. If you're under some variant of the 2006 IBC, you might not be able to. Assuming that the "nh" in your handle means New Hampshire, you folks are on the 2009 code and it doesn't look like there were any amendments made to section 907, which deals with fire alarms, so you should be good to go. Stand alone smoke and CO alarms would not be required. On the other hand, unless there are other drivers, it's a lot cheaper for the owner to go with stand-alone devices.

The NH state fire code (Saf-C 6000) is amended to require CO detectors in all multi-unit dwellings (including hotels) to comply with 720 and, the AHJ will (likely) require system CO's. Smokes in the room may or may not locally be required to be system

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The NH state fire code (Saf-C 6000) is amended to require CO detectors in all multi-unit dwellings (including hotels) to comply with 720 and, the AHJ will (likely) require system CO's. Smokes in the room may or may not locally be required to be system

Even if required, they still don't have to be system devices. Or at least I shouldn't think so. I know in NJ it's typically a stand-alone combo smoke/CO alarm, with a horn/strobe from the main panel for building-wide evacuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.