600 feeder (Overhead Wiring Method)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBLES

i want to feed a 600 disconnect off a H frame Gutter 150'away.. it has to be run overhead to 600 disconnect. any ideas on how to terminate once i get power to new disconnect. any and all ideas welcome and thanks

MBLES

I would do it like a service with riser running up to a weather head splicing onto the overhead cable.

IWIRE.. are you suggesting i just run conduit straight out the top with myers hubs. its will have to be parallel service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you are running overhead then you can sleeve the drop into a conduit connected to a gutter. From the gutter you can come out with three 200 amps panels.

MBLES

If you are running overhead then you can sleeve the drop into a conduit connected to a gutter. From the gutter you can come out with three 200 amps panels.

yes Sir

i am running a feeder to a H frame that will feed a T building. I am running a feeder from existing H frame to new H frame 150' away. does the disconnect need to installed at existing H frame or at the New H frame to be 225.30 compliant. Any Advise will help.

John120/240

yes Sir

i am running a feeder to a H frame that will feed a T building. I am running a feeder from existing H frame to new H frame 150' away. does the disconnect need to installed at existing H frame or at the New H frame to be 225.30 compliant. Any Advise will help.

What is a "T" building ? What is a "H" frame ? I can picture a "H" frame as a Uni Strut structure with a meter, disconnect & other associated equipment mounted to it, but I really do not know.

MBLES

What is a "T" building ? What is a "H" frame ? I can picture a "H" frame as a Uni Strut structure with a meter, disconnect & other associated equipment mounted to it, but I really do not know.

not sure what you call stuff in your area. we call a temporary building T building and a H frame service exactly like you described two wooden poles with unistrut holding up service could be a gutter feeding disconnects. with meters.

electricalist

So H1= service point,where the service enters the property.from there as you said a feeder feeds that feeds H2 where you want to put a 600 amp disconnect and feed 3 200 amp panels located on the inside of bldgT that is 150' away. Correct?
So you need a feeder from H1 to T where you can set the 600 amp disc and use your tap rules to feed 3 disconnects that feed 3 panels.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
yes Sir

How close to TS (temporary structure) will H2 be? The reason I ask is because depending on who is doing the interpretations, H2 and TS may be considered separate structures... thus requiring disconnecting means at each [Article 225 Part II].

Subject to disqualifying conditions not divulged, you may be able to get by with no disconnecting means at H1, utilizing the outside feeder tap rule [240.21(B)(5)].

MBLES

How close to TS (temporary structure) will H2 be? The reason I ask is because depending on who is doing the interpretations, H2 and TS may be considered separate structures... thus requiring disconnecting means at each [Article 225 Part II].

Subject to disqualifying conditions not divulged, you may be able to get by with no disconnecting means at H1, utilizing the outside feeder tap rule [240.21(B)(5)].

the H frame will be there in anticipation of Temp Buildings about 20'. I was planning on installing a 600a disconnect with 3 200am disconnects to supply the 3-200a panels that come on Temp buildings....

Does 225.30 apply if we feed off the line side of service disconnecting means inside the Gutter tap. basically the service entrance conductors? its a 800a service with a gutter that feeds 4 200amp disconnects on single service, the other disconnects are not being used so we have the entire 800a for t buildings. I wanted to use the 200a disconnects for each temp building originally but when I found out they were gonna combine all three Temp buildings together as one I have to change my plan.

Any more Ideas? thanks for adivse

iwire

Staff member
I thought if you applied a tap a the service entrance conductors ,up to 6, the2-6 would have to be grouped together.

You are really confusing me in this thread:huh:

The service disconnects are at the H frame, they are grouped. From there feeders run to temporary buildings.

Part II of article 225 has the rules for supplying a separate building or stricture and the rules require disconnecting means at the separate buildings and those have to be grouped if more than 1.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I thought if you applied a tap a the service entrance conductors ,up to 6, the2-6 would have to be grouped together.
If he taps off the line side of the service disconnects at H1, that just makes another service entrance conductor going to H2... where he can install 2-6 service disconnecting means. Don't forget the one service rule is per building or structure. H2 will be a separate structure itself and supply a separate building.

MBLES

If he taps off the line side of the service disconnects at H1, that just makes another service entrance conductor going to H2... where he can install 2-6 service disconnecting means. Don't forget the one service rule is per building or structure. H2 will be a separate structure itself and supply a separate building.

could I use 230.2 E to extend service. im not trying to get away with anything Im just trying to find the best advise for our proposal. so far its really good.

BTW I apologize for starting on a different thread I didn't know it couldn't be done. I just couldn't figure out how to delete the thread to re word
my question on this thread so people could understand. its hard when different people ask different questions and it gets out of control and just sounds like rubbish. my fault

Smart $

Esteemed Member
could I use 230.2 E to extend service. im not trying to get away with anything Im just trying to find the best advise for our proposal. so far its really good.
No need to resort to (E). That's for multiple services to a single structure.

You have a separate structure. You can 'extend' your service to it without any other qualification.

MBLES

No need to resort to (E). That's for multiple services to a single structure.

You have a separate structure. You can 'extend' your service to it without any other qualification.

Smart can you provide a Code reference? Im a visual person I like to see what Im about to step in. thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.