Dedicated Space above LP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsjad1

This seems like a frequented topic. I can't find a specific scenario for my question.

Regarding 110.26 (F) Dedicated Equipment space

I have a situation where a fixed electric unit heater is in the dedicated space, but not working space, of an electric panel. The unit heaters circuit originates in the said panel.

Is this a violation? I'm struggling with the "...other equipment foreign to the electrical installation"

dcspector

This seems like a frequented topic. I can't find a specific scenario for my question.

Regarding 110.26 (F) Dedicated Equipment space

I have a situation where a fixed electric unit heater is in the dedicated space, but not working space, of an electric panel. The unit heaters circuit originates in the said panel.

Is this a violation? I'm struggling with the "...other equipment foreign to the electrical installation"

No that heater is all Electric...Correct? Then no problem. Duct work , Plumbing and foreign to Electrical is not allowed from floor up per 110.26(F) That is my condensed version. Dedicated electrical space and working space are two different animals as you probably know.

dana1028

NEC 110.26(F) explains this rule.

I agree, 110.26(F) does explain this rule. "All switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces..."

110.26(F)(1) further explains, "...No...other equipment foreign to the electrical installation [ of switchboards, panelboards, distribution boards, and motor control centers ] shall be located in this zone.

So unless you are saying the electrical heating equipment is in fact a component of a switchboard, panelboard, etc. I would cite this as a violation of the dedicated space requirement.

dana1028

Just because a piece of equipment happens to be electrical in nature does not automatically allow it to be placed within the dedicated space requirements spelled out for specific electrical equipment.

I'm not talking about conduit runs [which this section was designed to provide the space for], I talking about 'other electrical equipment' that is not a component of panelboards, switchboards, etc.

iwire

Staff member
Just because a piece of equipment happens to be electrical in nature does not automatically allow it to be placed within the dedicated space requirements spelled out for specific electrical equipment.

I'm not talking about conduit runs [which this section was designed to provide the space for], I talking about 'other electrical equipment' that is not a component of panelboards, switchboards, etc.

I agree entirely.

erickench

I'm afraid Mike Holt say's otherwise in his book "Understanding the NEC". In one of the Authors comments it state's:

Electrical raceways and cables not associated with the dedicated space can be within the dedicated space. These aren't considered "equipment foreign to the electrical installation".

These electric heaters are connected to the same panel. For that reason alone you cannot make a case that the equipment is foreign.

iwire

Staff member
I'm afraid Mike Holt say's otherwise in his book "Understanding the NEC". In one of the Authors comments it state's:

Electrical raceways and cables not associated with the dedicated space can be within the dedicated space. These aren't considered "equipment foreign to the electrical installation".

These electric heaters are connected to the same panel. For that reason alone you cannot make a case that the equipment is foreign.

Mike's comment is about raceways and cable which must occupy the space to enter the panel

A room heater does not have to be in 'the space' and is not allowed to be.

iwire

Staff member
Mike's comment is about raceways and cable which must occupy the space to enter the panel

I was wrong to say the above, Mike's comment was not about raceways that must occupy the space.

I will say that an electrical heater is HVAC equipment and is a foreign system that can not be in the dedicated space.

erickench

Yes it is HVAC equipment but it also is electric. Tell me, how can electric equipment cause damage to other electric equipment in this case? Where is the leakage, condensation etc.?

fsjad1

Yes it is HVAC equipment but it also is electric. Tell me, how can electric equipment cause damage to other electric equipment in this case? Where is the leakage, condensation etc.?

I think this has spawned some good conversations. I've had about everyone of these discussions with various engineers locally. I tend to lean towards the unit heater is electric equipment not foreign and thus is not expressly prohibited.

If I get a ruling from the AHJ I will post back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.