Bond water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

you in the 2008 code cycle?

We are definitely in the 2008 code cycle. I put in an equipotential perimeter bond but not a water bond. The only way to do it would to bring the conductor up and over the side of the wall of the above ground pool. Then I would worry about someone cutting themselves on the metal in the water.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Ravenvalor

You're not planning on hitting the inspector with the bond-safe thing until he agrees to require you to bond the water, right? :D

Definitely not! A lot of the code is pure politics. The copper industry probably lobbied the code writers to add this code. Besides the fact 90% of the code is unconstitutional. Just read Mark Levin's "Liberty & Tyranny". No, I will not open up this can of worms on those imbecillic county inspectors. I am a Ron Paul conservative, strictly a constitutionalist.

ultramegabob

Definitely not! A lot of the code is pure politics. The copper industry probably lobbied the code writers to add this code. Besides the fact 90% of the code is unconstitutional. Just read Mark Levin's "Liberty & Tyranny". No, I will not open up this can of worms on those imbecillic county inspectors. I am a Ron Paul conservative, strictly a constitutionalist.

All righty then.....:confused::confused:

romeo

Bond Water

Bond Water

I looked at the site and do believe this is the solution to my problem, thanks.

Local pool installers are providing a proper size Stainless steel nipple at the pool pump. The bonding conductor is attached to it.

inspector163

As an inbecellic inspector in Guilford County NC, I will say that we do not accept bonding at the pump as bonding the water becacuse if the pumpis not running the water may not be in contact with the pump. There are third party approved pieces to go into some strainer cannisters that provide 9 sq in. of bond surface. These are used in fiberglass pools. Ask your local inspector what he will accept. Keep those in the pool and you safe.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
As an imbecilic inspector in Guilford County NC, I will say that we do not accept bonding at the pump as bonding the water because if the pump is not running the water may not be in contact with the pump. There are third party approved pieces to go into some strainer cannisters that provide 9 sq in. of bond surface. These are used in fiberglass pools. Ask your local inspector what he will accept. Keep those in the pool and you safe.

I'd agree for an inground pool (pump is almost always above water level), but not an above ground pool (pump is almost always below water level).

It seems to me that a metal nipple is a good solution for an above ground pool (or a bond safe skimmer if it will work with your pool), and a metal light niche or a Bond Safe skimmer are the good solutions for an inground pool.

inspector163

I agree that a nipple of sufficent size may work on an above ground pool as long as the water does not siphen back away from the nipple when motor is not running. I was saying in most pools we do not accept since this method depends on where water is when pump is not running.

Status
Not open for further replies.