Bond water

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

The stainless steel nipple w/ lug is for bonding the nipple,,,,,,not the water,,,,,the water can only be bonded with a fitting approved to do that.

M. D.

The stainless steel nipple w/ lug is for bonding the nipple,,,,,,not the water,,,,,the water can only be bonded with a fitting approved to do that.

Any of the parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B) will surfice as long as it is in contact with the pool water .

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Any of the parts that are required to be bonded in 680.26(B) will surfice as long as it is in contact with the pool water .

MD, When I read mClary's post, I thought the same, then I went to 680.26 to prove my point. I could not. You may, but I was unable to show that the "nipple" was one item required to be bonded by 680.26(B).

If push come to shove this product has been UL listed for that purpose
http://bondsafe680.com/

e57

Definitely not! A lot of the code is pure politics. The copper industry probably lobbied the code writers to add this code. Besides the fact 90% of the code is unconstitutional. Just read Mark Levin's "Liberty & Tyranny". No, I will not open up this can of worms on those imbecillic county inspectors. I am a Ron Paul conservative, strictly a constitutionalist.
WOW! In my last few days trolling I missed the GEM! :D

M. D.

MD, When I read mClary's post, I thought the same, then I went to 680.26 to prove my point. I could not. You may, but I was unable to show that the "nipple" was one item required to be bonded by 680.26(B).

If push come to shove this product has been UL listed for that purpose
http://bondsafe680.com/

I think that bond safe was a pretty clever idea....

What makes me laugh though ,.. is the fact that 680.26(b) has been used to require electricians to bond window frames but somehow this nipple that is a part of the water circulation system does not make the list ?? :confused:

M. D.

I'd agree for an inground pool (pump is almost always above water level), but not an above ground pool (pump is almost always below water level).

It seems to me that a metal nipple is a good solution for an above ground pool (or a bond safe skimmer if it will work with your pool), and a metal light niche or a Bond Safe skimmer are the good solutions for an inground pool.

And if the skimmer leaks ???

sparky59

Definitely not! A lot of the code is pure politics. The copper industry probably lobbied the code writers to add this code. Besides the fact 90% of the code is unconstitutional. Just read Mark Levin's "Liberty & Tyranny". No, I will not open up this can of worms on those imbecillic county inspectors. I am a Ron Paul conservative, strictly a constitutionalist.

I agree that a lot of the code is politics. But i know from experience that this code was needed. I have bonded the water in several older pools that were shocking people. When you are immersed in water the slightest voltage potential can be felt. In my particular case it was a metal railing by the steps that wasn't touching the water. When people were standing in the water and touched the rail they got a tingle. Bonding the water eliminated the problem.

boatfull

pool bond water

pool bond water

Hi Folks:

Do I have to bond the water in a permanently installed pool with a metal plate if there is none in there? If so, why isn't the inspector requiring me to?

Thanks,

if you have a wet niche, dont you think that would suffice as the bonding thats required for the pool water? doesn't the niche fill up with after water is put into the pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.