Commercial Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

I have an 800amp service coming into a building. Where do I look to size the feeder wire for commercial applications?

laketime

800amps is the desired service size by the building owner for dreamed of future expansion. The work we are doing would be fine with a 400 amp service. I should use the 75d column correct?

Last edited:

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

The NEC does not require us to consider voltage drop in our calculations for most circuits.

The NEC is not a design specification.

Ok, thanks for this but I suggested him for sizing and designing feeder, he should also consider voltage drop, derating and other factors. Was I wrong?

laketime

Also if I am paralleling runs is it just additive? So 500mcm is good for 430 amps, so parallel it would be good for 860 amps? I am also seeing that I should use a #2 ground?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Ok, thanks for this but I suggested him for sizing and designing feeder, he should also consider voltage drop, derating and other factors. Was I wrong?

No I don't think you are wrong, we should consider everything we can think of ........ including the costs.

I just wanted to make clear that voltage drop considerations are not required by the NEC except for a few specific instances, fire pumps are one example.

iwire

Staff member
Also if I am paralleling runs is it just additive? So 500mcm is good for 430 amps, so parallel it would be good for 860 amps? I am also seeing that I should use a #2 ground?

Wrong column, back up to 75C

Two 500 coppers in separate raceways will get you 760 amps of capacity and is allowed with an 800 amp breaker but should never be loaded beyond 760 amps.

Two 600 coppers in separate raceways will get you 840 amps of capacity.

If you decided to run two sets of say 4/0 copper in two raceways (four 4/0 per phase total) then the 90 C column would be useful.

laketime

Wrong column, back up to 75C

Two 500 coppers in separate raceways will get you 760 amps of capacity and is allowed with an 800 amp breaker but should never be loaded beyond 760 amps.

Two 600 coppers in separate raceways will get you 840 amps of capacity.

If you decided to run two sets of say 4/0 copper in two raceways (four 4/0 per phase total) then the 90 C column would be useful.

The electrical engineer is calling for parallel 500's from the load side of the meter to the panel board. Why is that?

iwire

Staff member
It is legal and common to use two sets of 500s copper for 800 amps. Even though the ampacity is only 760 amps section 240.4(B) allows us to use an 800 amp breaker.

However the calculated load must never exceed 760 amps. This means if a year from now someone wants to add load they are supposed to do a full load calculation to make sure the added load does not bring the total over 760.

laketime

It is legal and common to use two sets of 500s copper for 800 amps. Even though the ampacity is only 760 amps section 240.4(B) allows us to use an 800 amp breaker.

However the calculated load must never exceed 760 amps. This means if a year from now someone wants to add load they are supposed to do a full load calculation to make sure the added load does not bring the total over 760.

So since I am bidding against a group of guys that probably won't check any of this out, I think I will go with the 500's to not price myself out of the job.

iwire

Staff member
So since I am bidding against a group of guys that probably won't check any of this out, I think I will go with the 500's to not price myself out of the job.

If the engineer is showing 500s I certainly would not bid 600s without it being an alternate.

laketime

So I just talked to my supplier and they are suggesting I go with aluminum conductors for the feed. Some electrician there was trying to say that I could use parallel 500mcm aluminum to feed an 800amp section. The way I read 310.16 is I would need at least 700mcm aluminum to feed 800amps. Am I right or is the other idiot right? ;)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So I just talked to my supplier and they are suggesting I go with aluminum conductors for the feed. Some electrician there was trying to say that I could use parallel 500mcm aluminum to feed an 800amp section. The way I read 310.16 is I would need at least 700mcm aluminum to feed 800amps. Am I right or is the other idiot right? ;)
You are correct. You would need parallel 700 kcm alum. for a 800 amp service as long as the calculated load is not greater than 750 amps. If not you may need parallel 900kcm alum. depending on the calculated load.

bradleyelectric

actually they make a 750 breaker so you can't just upsize to an additional larger size breaker unless I'm mistaken. The other fine gentleman is badly mistaken. You need 750MCM Al.

Status
Not open for further replies.