08' NEC code QUESTON

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Seattle and read a inspecters ding page that pointed it out in the NEC that said 15' spacificlly.I cant find that spacific stating 15' is it there?

I know the Washington Admistration Code (WAC, State electrical code) it says 15' feet found in WAC 296-46B-230-070-(11)(b). The city of Seattle may have adopted the States requirement in this case.

Seattle Electrical Code said:
230.70 General. Means shall be provided to disconnect all
conductors in a building or other structure from the serviceentrance
conductors.
(A) Location. The service disconnecting means shall be
installed in accordance with 230.70(A)(1), (A)(2), ((and))
(A)(3) and (A)(4).
(1) Readily Accessible Location. The service disconnecting
means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either
outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point
of entrance of the service conductors. Service disconnecting
means shall be readily accessible, including after any
subsequent building alterations or additions.

FPN: The inside and outside location requirements
contained in WAC 296-46B-230.070(11) are by this
reference made part of the 2008 Seattle Electrical Code.

Last edited:

jumper

Do they allow SE cable?

Just wondering because I have some people say that for rigid conduit inspectors would allow a longer length. IMO if you're enforcing the NEC the length permitted must be same for every wiring method.

SE is not listed as one of their methods.

I found this:

(7) The installation of service conductors not exceeding 600 volts, nominal, within a building or structure is limited to the following methods: Galvanized or aluminum rigid metal conduit; galvanized intermediate metal conduit; wireways; busways; auxiliary gutters; minimum schedule 40 rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit; cablebus; or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable (type MI).

(8) Electrical metallic tubing must not be installed as the wiring method for service entrance conductors inside a building. Existing electrical metallic tubing, installed prior to October 1984, which is properly grounded and used for service entrance conductors may be permitted to remain if the conduit is installed in a nonaccessible location and is the proper size for the installed conductors.

Here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=296-46B&full=true#296-46B-230

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
SE is not listed as one of their methods.

I found this:

(7) The installation of service conductors not exceeding 600 volts, nominal, within a building or structure is limited to the following methods: Galvanized or aluminum rigid metal conduit; galvanized intermediate metal conduit; wireways; busways; auxiliary gutters; minimum schedule 40 rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit; cablebus; or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable (type MI).

(8) Electrical metallic tubing must not be installed as the wiring method for service entrance conductors inside a building. Existing electrical metallic tubing, installed prior to October 1984, which is properly grounded and used for service entrance conductors may be permitted to remain if the conduit is installed in a nonaccessible location and is the proper size for the installed conductors.

Here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=296-46B&full=true#296-46B-230

Thanks for the info. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.