1-PH or 3-PH for elevator??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

l3city

:smile: Hi fellas, most (if not all) of the elevators I have designed, have been wired 3-phase. Just moments ago a contractor approaching me asked me if it was permitted to wire an elevator with 1-phase power. I got right away into the NEC, and found nothing so far that prohibits this. I am aware that elevator motors are big (hence that is why most are 3-phase) What is your opinion on this fellas! Any comments are welcomed!!:smile:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There are significant disadvantages of using single phase power to supply a large motor (to me this means 1 HP and larger). But there is nothing in the code to prohibit it. Take a look at Table 430.248. It includes data for single phase motors as large as 10 HP!

The code does not tell us how to make design decisions, and this is a design issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are these small hydraulic elevators with AC motors? The last elevators that we wired were all 3 phase MG sets to run the elevators on DC. Are we speaking about two different animals?

stickboy1375

infinity said:
Are these small hydraulic elevators with AC motors? The last elevators that we wired were all 3 phase MG sets to run the elevators on DC. Are we speaking about two different animals?

Probably.... the one I did was in fact hydraulic...

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
l3city said:
:smile: Hi fellas, most (if not all) of the elevators I have designed, have been wired 3-phase. Just moments ago a contractor approaching me asked me if it was permitted to wire an elevator with 1-phase power. I got right away into the NEC, and found nothing so far that prohibits this. I am aware that elevator motors are big (hence that is why most are 3-phase) What is your opinion on this fellas! Any comments are welcomed!!:smile:

I've wired a few single phase residential elevators. Also wired some that come with a single phase to 3 phase converter

eric stromberg

rcarroll said:
IMO, the whole dang world should be 3 phase. :grin: If the elevator is designed w/ a 1 phase motor so be it.

I couldn't agree more. Just imagine how much less our air-conditioning bills would be if we replaced our 1 phase compressors with 3 phase compressors. It would also be better for the utility because the power demand is constant.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
eric stromberg said:
I couldn't agree more. Just imagine how much less our air-conditioning bills would be if we replaced our 1 phase compressors with 3 phase compressors. It would also be better for the utility because the power demand is constant.

Would a 3 phase compressor be that more efficient?

eric stromberg

stickboy1375 said:
Never mind all the extra transformers the POCO would be supplying...

True, but they could also start using three phase transformers that are mounted in a single case. Three primary bushings. I have a dream...

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
OP didn't mention whether this was resi or commercial; my question; do you guys think he would find a single phase elevator w/ commercial capacity if this in fact what he's looking for?

splinetto

The house im on now called for 1 phase but the motor the sent out was a 3 phase motor....The elevator guy said it was Ok ....Will a 3 phase motor work with only 1 phase feeding it??

mdshunk

splinetto said:
The house im on now called for 1 phase but the motor the sent out was a 3 phase motor....The elevator guy said it was Ok ....Will a 3 phase motor work with only 1 phase feeding it??
A guy was near me in the lunchroom in a factory at lunchtime one day last week. He had a hotdog from 7-11 that he was going to reheat in the microwave. It was wrapped in foil. He said to me, "This foil will be okay in the microwave, won't it?". Stunned that he would even ask that in this day and age, I said, "Sure". The guy stuck it in the microwave and fired it up. Pretty neat.

No. Your 3 phase motor will not work on single phase without a phase converter. The pump motor starts nearly fully loaded, so it will take a pretty generous phase converter at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.