100 amp s.p meter socket w/ combination main

Status
Not open for further replies.

MannyBurgos

Assuming you are saying that your 4th conductor is the Grounding Electrode Conductor to the water pipe, keep in mind, when you route that conductor thru your metal nipple you must bond both ends to the conductor. (250.64)(E)

Wouln't the r.m.c raceway between the main disconnect and sub panel satisy 250.64(e) regarding electrically continious from point of attachment (main) to grounding electrode (water pipe)?

kwired

Electron manager
Wouln't the r.m.c raceway between the main disconnect and sub panel satisy 250.64(e) regarding electrically continious from point of attachment (main) to grounding electrode (water pipe)?
Back up one step to 250.62.

250.62 Grounding Electrode Conductor Material.

The grounding electrode conductor shall be of copper, aluminum, copper-clad aluminum, or the items as permitted in 250.68(C). The material selected shall be resistant to any corrosive condition existing at the installation or shall be protected against corrosion. Conductors of the wire type shall be solid or stranded, insulated, covered, or bare.

The items permitted in 250.68(C) are to allow use of the first 5 feet of water piping within a structure or use of building steel to interconnect electrodes, or extension of a CEE out of the concrete to an accessible point. Nowhere does it permit use of steel raceways as the GEC.

MannyBurgos

The items permitted in 250.68(C) are to allow use of the first 5 feet of water piping within a structure or use of building steel to interconnect electrodes, or extension of a CEE out of the concrete to an accessible point. Nowhere does it permit use of steel raceways as the GEC.

Bonding bushing will be attached to raceway protecting gec from main to ground rod at both ends. Is this required for run from main to subpanel as well? So ultimately, 4 bonding bushings will be used... im sorry id im not not catching it quickly but to me, theres some confusion on bonding and grounding. We were prwviously on 2002 the lateat and everyone jumped to 2011 just recently.

Sorry for any typos. Im writing from my phone.

kwired

Electron manager
Bonding bushing will be attached to raceway protecting gec from main to ground rod at both ends. Is this required for run from main to subpanel as well? So ultimately, 4 bonding bushings will be used... im sorry id im not not catching it quickly but to me, theres some confusion on bonding and grounding. We were prwviously on 2002 the lateat and everyone jumped to 2011 just recently.
Bonding bushing only is a requirement when using steel raceways because of the side effect of that steel raceway, you still need a GEC that meets 250.62 which says it will be copper or aluminum. When you bond that steel sleeve on both ends it is effectively parallel to the contained GEC, but that is a side effect it is still not considered to be the GEC.

MannyBurgos

Bonding bushing only is a requirement when using steel raceways because of the side effect of that steel raceway, you still need a GEC that meets 250.62 which says it will be copper or aluminum. When you bond that steel sleeve on both ends it is effectively parallel to the contained GEC, but that is a side effect it is still not considered to be the GEC.

Got it! Thank you all and much respect.

Last edited:

wyreman

Occupation
electrical contractor

wow I just had a senior electrical inspector tell me to bond the the gas to poco periscope and call it good. He is usually a tough nut

MannyBurgos

Just had inspection in regards to this service that i op about and all is good. Ran all gec to main disconnect and also provided bonding bushings at all ends of steel conduit where gec ran through. Inspector was happy. Thanks again all.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sometimes a job will pass simply because the inspector is worn down :D

guschash

You will need 4 wires to service panel. Service panel is now a sub panel. Should be a place ground wire in meter/ combination usually at neutral bar.

MannyBurgos

You will need 4 wires to service panel. Service panel is now a sub panel. Should be a place ground wire in meter/ combination usually at neutral bar.

That is correct. I had that down 10 years ago. The issue was not the main disconnecting means nor the isolation of grounded and grounding conductors at the sub but rather about terminating GEC at grounding busbar at sub panel which after understanding with the help of these guys, it would have been a violation since metal raceways are not listed as part of a GES.

MannyBurgos

Let's not forget that a metal raceway can serve as an equipment grounding conductor.

Thats correct. However, i could not find where metal raceway can be used as part of GES so that changed my whole setup. The grounding is indeed being taken care of by the metal raceway between the subpanel and main disconnect enclosure.

kwired

Electron manager
Thats correct. However, i could not find where metal raceway can be used as part of GES so that changed my whole setup. The grounding is indeed being taken care of by the metal raceway between the subpanel and main disconnect enclosure.

Metal raceway can not be used as a GEC, go back to where I mentioned 250.62. It can be used as an EGC though, which is mentioned in 250.118.

Status
Not open for further replies.