100 amp sub-panel, 600 ft from source

Status
Not open for further replies.
I re-read post 20 carefully. I didn't list any numbers. You wish to compare to north of $16K for the hardwired version, then attribute the number to you. A number you can attribute to me for a wild rectum guess is south of $10K

A couple of questions:
Is the $13K parts only, or parts and installation?
An emergency generator? Is an emergency like the sun doesn't shine for a day? I suspect the gen is not part of the $13K

Ben -
I'm not against solar. It has it's uses. I've got a system at my cabin (along with a generator if I need any power). I've never seen where they are cost effective (avoiding repitition - see constrainsts listed previously)

ice

Let say that this is a woodworking shop and we sized it for 60A. How would a load form a planer - that goes way beyond its stated nameplate load when it bears down on the board - would be torque supported from a PV system? Just wondering....

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I re-read post 20 carefully. I didn't list any numbers. You wish to compare to north of $16K for the hardwired version, then attribute the number to you. A number you can attribute to me for a wild rectum guess is south of $10K

You said that for the same price as a the 100A feeder the customer could afford 2.4 kW of solar. I assumed you were using my $7/w figure (you asked me for a figure and then quoted my answer when you said that.). 2.4kW times $7 is $16,800. I'm not going to hold you to any number, but that's where I got it from.

The case that started this thread may not be a good example, but there are certainly going to be cases where solar is cost effective. Let's just say that instead of 600ft, it was 2000ft, or a mile. The equation eventually tips.

wesserl, the system would handle the torque from any motors just fine as long as the surge capacity of the inverter is in spec. As I mentioned, the system I linked to has 6000VA momentary surge. I would trust it with any 110V power tool. Now if you actually need 240V, you'll need stacked inverters, and it would be more expensive.

kwired

Electron manager
I run feeds in the 1400 foot range supplying an approximate 100 amp load frequently, and the need is pretty well defined. They are typically 75 or 100 hp irrigation wells, - but they also are 480 volt three phase so that helps reduce the needed conductor size as compared to a 120/240 volt single phase load.

Status
Not open for further replies.