120/240 panel on 480 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
six months after that, i was named along with 15 other people, and sued
for $2.5 million.

getcher ass down there monday morning, and extricate yourself from this.

how does reporting a potentially unsafe condition to the AHJ prevent you from being sued? If there is an incident and your company was somehow involved you will be sued. that is just the way it is, regardless of any actual culpability or not.

In fact you may well be sued when you report it if there if that results in a shutdown or other cost to the owner.

mwm1752

Kwired, only you can answer when to act & when not to act. I would think that an EC would expect electrical work in his area be done by qualified, insured, licensed companies such as his. You may not care if your competion has to follow the rules but I know a slew of contractors that do not appreciate non professionals competing for their jobs. Our state has rules and penalties for misrepresentation. I can only conclude the installer is non qualified due to the OP statement.

norcal

I personally have issues w/ turning people in but if one had to, a call to OSHA may work as I hear they do not disclose who made the complaint. The reason for having reservations about doing so is I see it as Nazi behavior since they encouraged people to turn others in, as did their Communist brethren,there is time when it is the correct thing to do, the OP is the only one who can make that call.

kwired

Electron manager
Kwired, only you can answer when to act & when not to act. I would think that an EC would expect electrical work in his area be done by qualified, insured, licensed companies such as his. You may not care if your competion has to follow the rules but I know a slew of contractors that do not appreciate non professionals competing for their jobs. Our state has rules and penalties for misrepresentation. I can only conclude the installer is non qualified due to the OP statement.
I don't like to have to follow the rules then see others that do not follow them just as much as most others. I also realize we live in what is supposed to be a free country. Those that don't follow the rules usually get what is coming to them eventually.

If I were the OP I would go to the owner an tell them what is wrong. If I want to take further steps to protect myself maybe even send them a letter explaining the problem with reasonable detail that they can understand. Maybe having this letter and a copy for me to keep notarized would be very helpful if a lawsuit should come up.

I am in the business of installing and maintaining electrical equipment, not law enforcement.

mwm1752

I don't like to have to follow the rules then see others that do not follow them just as much as most others. I also realize we live in what is supposed to be a free country. Those that don't follow the rules usually get what is coming to them eventually.

If I were the OP I would go to the owner an tell them what is wrong. If I want to take further steps to protect myself maybe even send them a letter explaining the problem with reasonable detail that they can understand. Maybe having this letter and a copy for me to keep notarized would be very helpful if a lawsuit should come up.

I am in the business of installing and maintaining electrical equipment, not law enforcement.

Well said & simple

mwm1752

I personally have issues w/ turning people in but if one had to, a call to OSHA may work as I hear they do not disclose who made the complaint. The reason for having reservations about doing so is I see it as Nazi behavior since they encouraged people to turn others in, as did their Communist brethren,there is time when it is the correct thing to do, the OP is the only one who can make that call.

The Nazi's did not have others saftey & well being in mind. I am a concerned American with IMO proper values.

Status
Not open for further replies.