2 Phases of a 3 Phase System

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamscb

Occupation
EE
Because the incoming 208v is a single sine wave, even though there are two phase conductors. The incoming 208v is calculated by subtracting the phasors of two of the phase voltages, hence the two wires. The voltage is still a single sine wave.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Because the incoming 208v is a single sine wave, even though there are two phase conductors. The incoming 208v is calculated by subtracting the phasors of two of the phase voltages, hence the two wires. The voltage is still a single sine wave.
To have two phasors requires three wires.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What about 2 line currents? ia/0 and ib/120
a phasor can be v, i, S

to MEASURE 2 v phasors you need 3 points
How are you going to get two line currents with less than three wires?

isn't phase angle the arctan(img/real) at any given point in time?
I'm uncertain what you are asking here. Thus I answer with a question....

How does one determine imaginary and real values with one sample?

That's analogous to being given the length of a right triangle's hypotenuse and asked to provide the length of the legs without any additional information.

mivey

No. Arctan will not distinguish all four quadrants.
Suppose you meant to say arctan2, which solves the quadrant problem and the divide by zero problem. You are still using a reference because the axis is not a given. You can't assume a starting point on the signal, you have to specify a starting point and that my friend is specifying a reference.

Sahib

The voltage (singular) has only one phase.

To measure more than one [nominal] phase voltage requires more than the two 'lines' referenced.

I already stated one signal can serve as a reference to the other. The resulting Lissajous figure shape depends on the phase shift between the two signals and so may be used to measure that phase shift.

But whether that phase shift is 120 degree or not in the present Dennis case remains to be confirmed.:)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Shouldn't that be fewer than three wires?
"fewer than three wires" = "less than three wires"

...or are we talking proper English? You would be correct according to some. But AFAIK it is not an etched-in-stone rule. I think it is just a rule some writers made up just to see how many they could get on board.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
"fewer than three wires" = "less than three wires"

...or are we talking proper English? You would be correct according to some. But AFAIK it is not an etched-in-stone rule. I think it is just a rule some writers made up just to see how many they could get on board.

Don't you mean "...just to see how much they could get on board."?

Sahib

One inference is 90 degree phase difference is not always required to make two phases. 120 degree difference would also make two phases provided neutral wire is available.

mivey

One inference is 90 degree phase difference is not always required to make two phases. 120 degree difference would also make two phases provided neutral wire is available.
Correct, at minimum a third conductor is needed. The neutral is just a grounded conductor and provides the third conductor needed.

It's just that the name "two phase system" is reserved for the system with a 90 degree difference.

Sahib

It's just that the name "two phase system" is reserved for the system with a 90 degree difference.

I think it has only historical significance.

Technically speaking, two phases with 120 degree phase difference would also create a rotating magnetic field unaided.

Is it inferior to that created by two phases with 90 degree phase difference?

mivey

Technically speaking, two phases with 120 degree phase difference would also create a rotating magnetic field unaided.

Is it inferior to that created by two phases with 90 degree phase difference?
An "unaided" rotating field requirement of some specified quality or characteristic can be added for an application if so desired. It has nothing to do with the fundamental existence of a phase difference between two signals.

Not all multi-phase applications require rotation but for applications that depend on a rotating field, the type and characteristics can be important.

Status
Not open for further replies.