20 amp AFCI breaker trips on laundry circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohms law

I was just curious if anyone has issues with AFCI's on laundry circuits tripping because of the relays in the wash machine? I have recently have had an issue with 3 different Whirlpool brand wash machines that intermittently cause the AFCI to trip when switching from rinse to spin. The company that sells these Whirlpool's are telling homeowners to have the electrician replace the breaker with a regular one. I assure you it's not the wire. I have ran 12-2 romex across the floor with a receptacle, temporarily, and still the AFCI would trip. I also replaced the AFCI for the dining receptacles with the laundry AFCI breaker and still issues. Although there was no issues with the dining receptacles when I use a vacuum. Sorry, if this seems long winded.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Not so much longwinded as confusing. An appliance is tripping an AFCI? When you switch the breakers there's still a problem with the breaker or the appliance?

kwired

Electron manager
You didn't mention contacting the AFCI manufacturer, or temporarily trying a different brand of AFCI.

No matter how much printed material they publish, they do not all respond to every situation the same way.

Ohms law

You didn't mention contacting the AFCI manufacturer, or temporarily trying a different brand of AFCI.

No matter how much printed material they publish, they do not all respond to every situation the same way.
I'm not following, it's a square-d panel type QO so I would imagine you can't use any other brand. Right?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Try a regular circuit breaker with an AFCI receptacle and see if that solves the issue.

The AFCI device trips for a reason. So try to investigate the problem.

Ohms law

Try a regular circuit breaker with an AFCI receptacle and see if that solves the issue.

The AFCI device trips for a reason. So try to investigate the problem.

First of all I'm not going to buy a AFCI receptacle and second we don't use them. If you read my original post I stated that I used a different AFCI breaker and ran 12-2 romex across the ground with a receptacle at the other end to determine if it was the wire. This was temporary. It still tripped. I will add since i did not earlier, I check terminals at both ends.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
First of all I'm not going to buy a AFCI receptacle and second we don't use them. If you read my original post I stated that I used a different AFCI breaker and ran 12-2 romex across the ground with a receptacle at the other end to determine if it was the wire. This was temporary. It still tripped. I will add since i did not earlier, I check terminals at both ends.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this issue.

Sorry, I guess I did not read your post carefully.

kwired

Electron manager
210.2 (A) states " similar rooms or areas". Our local AHJ considers a laundry room that is finished needs to be AFCI protected.

How does AHJ define "finished". My washer and dryer are in what is essentially a closet. I consider the interior of this closet to be finished, after all it is drywalled and painted has ceramic tile on the floor and even has casing trim on the door and base trim at the floor, but I also find the space far from being similar to a living room, bedroom, dining room, etc.

I'm not following, it's a square-d panel type QO so I would imagine you can't use any other brand. Right?

You will be limited to using QO breakers in the QO panel, but I have read on this forum that not all AFCI's are created equal. They need to identify an arc signature, and what signature a QO recognizes as a condition for trip, may not trip a General Electric, or a Siemens unit, or vice versa.

IMO this is kind of BS, but I imagine there is standards they are supposed to meet and they all fall within those standards. No different than a standard thermal-mag breaker from one manufacturer having a different trip curve than another one has, yet they all fall within the standards they are supposed to meet.

For one's own education/amusement my suggestion was finding at least a temporary method of trying something else just to see if it trips also.

Last edited:

Ohms law

How does AHJ define "finished". My washer and dryer are in what is essentially a closet. I consider the interior of this closet to be finished, after all it is drywalled and painted has ceramic tile on the floor and even has casing trim on the door and base trim at the floor, but I also find the space far from being similar to a living room, bedroom, dining room, etc.

The room is a small laundry room with a shelf dedicated to the laundry units. Our AHJ considers a room to be finished is when the floor and ceiling are finished.

Ohms law

Ask the AHJ if he would accept a GFCI breaker on the circuit.
They will accept a GFCI if its readily accessible , and still it needs AFCI protection. The stupid thing is, our AHJ. Will make us AFCI and GFCI protect if in a laundry/bathroom setup. All bathroom receptacles have to be GFCI. So we install a AFCI breaker then a dead front GFCI so it is readily accessible.

Ohms law

Or use a surge trap at the receptacle.
I'm assuming a surge trap is similar to a whole house surge protector, obviously two different items but accomplish the same thing. We do offer home owners a whole house surge protector for $580.00. The brand we use is Square D, the price includeds the device plus installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.