20 amp wire on 15 amp breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikeindy

stickboy1375 said:
Just to throw in my 2 cents... Peter D and I can wire a thousand houses with #14 awg and never get one call back for a breaker tripping, like its been said before, it's all in the layout... Besides that if you are using #12, your only gaining 600 watts more per circuit... I really don't feel that is an advantage... especially in a bed room... I don't know what you people are finding in homes these days, but I generally find a tv, radio/alarm clock and a cordless phone... no need to panic on that one... :)

Right on Bro. This is what I have been saying.

tallgirl said:
Dennis' comment is spot-on. I learned most of what I know about electrical work having parents who built full-custom homes. Many of the practices I see described here might fly with tract home buyers, but absolutely would not fly with someone who's expecting a house that's significantly better than what they are going to get from the tract builders.

I think Celtic is the great champion of "raise your prices and you'll still have plenty of work". You can differentiate on quality or price. Or as we say in my biz -- "Cheap, fast, or reliable. Pick two." It's just not a foregone conclusion that you have to keep working faster and cheaper. There is a market out there for more reliable and more expensive.

We Don't do anything but Custom high end homes and I use #14 alll day long. How many ways is there to say DESIGN. And I have to ask the question what makes a 20A circuit in a bedroom better than a 15A. Please inform me.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
stickboy1375 said:
I don't know what you people are finding in homes these days, but I generally find a tv, radio/alarm clock and a cordless phone... no need to panic on that one... :)
Hey what about the dude who has those radial arm saws and table saws set up in the corner next to the TV. Oh and also a portable heater because the heating and air guy screwed up. lol

bikeindy

Dennis Alwon said:
Hey what about the dude who has those radial arm saws and table saws set up in the corner next to the TV. Oh and also a portable heater because the heating and air guy screwed up. lol

I know this guy and that room is in his garage. One nice set up too, its like a hunting lodge. But that part of the garage was DESIGNED for it. I tell people in old houses that their money would be better spent to have the HVAC guy fix their issues. But I often install basebord heat in these 100 +yr old homes.

Last edited:

romeo

20 amp wire on a 15 amp breaker?

20 amp wire on a 15 amp breaker?

Dennis Alwon said:

I am the guy that asked if we were still talking about the benefit of a 20amp wire on a 15amp breaker. It seems that we are now talking about the benefits of wiring residential receptacles on a 20amp circuit.

IMO the best way to answer that question is to count the times contractors were required to make service calls because of 15 amp breakers tripping on newly wired homes because of over loads. In the old days ( I don't remember what year,)the NEC only permitted 1.5 watts per branch circuit outlet. That was changed because additional outlets are provided for convience and do not add an an additional load to a circuit.

Wiring on old homes where limited circuits were provided and appliances such as portable heaters are used are a potential problem. Imo that does not apply to new homes. The NEC does not address what if,and I think that what if apply here.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
romeo said:
The NEC does not address what if,and I think that what if apply here.
Romeo I thought i was obviously joking with my statement. That's why I put lol after it. Who would have a table saw in the bedroom--- a joke. I was making fun with the issue of 15 vs 20 amp circuits. I have no problem with 15 amp circuits (read my earlier post) I just feel better putting a 20 on receptacles. That's all.

romeo

20 amp wire on 15 breaker?

20 amp wire on 15 breaker?

Dennis Alwon said:
Romeo I thought i was obviously joking with my statement. That's why I put lol after it. Who would have a table saw in the bedroom--- a joke. I was making fun with the issue of 15 vs 20 amp circuits. I have no problem with 15 amp circuits (read my earlier post) I just feel better putting a 20 on receptacles. That's all.

LOL I know you were joking I just used used your post for the purpose of responding with my opinion. I hope you don't mind.This is a great forum I scr----p so much that I am starting to like the taste of crow lol.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
romeo said:
LOL I know you were joking I just used used your post for the purpose of responding with my opinion. I hope you don't mind.This is a great forum I scr----p so much that I am starting to like the taste of crow lol.
I agree-- but I get tired of eating crow-- it's getting old but I have learned to deal with it.

ceknight

Dennis Alwon said:
Who would have a table saw in the bedroom--.

Me. :)

I have an old fixer-upper of a house, and when I tackle a room project the table saw, mitre saw, compressor, etc are usually in the room with me during trim out. One of the last rooms I did was the master bedroom, where I had the table saw and shop vac going at the time my compressor kicked on.

On a 15A circuit, no trip. Fortunately all the motor starts were staggered. :)

Mike03a3

stickboy1375 said:
... I don't know what you people are finding in homes these days, but I generally find a tv, radio/alarm clock and a cordless phone... no need to panic on that one... :)

Pretty Spartan existance. Ignoring "dedicated" loads like laundry, HVAC & kitchen, lighting, ceiling fans and all the bathroom items like curling iron & hair driers my wide & daughter can't live without, our 3 person, 4-bedroom home has:

main TV = projection TV, cable box, DVD/VCR & 8mm VCR
daughter's TV = TV, cable box, DVD/VCR, game console
master BR/sitting room TV, VCR
basement rec room TV, game console, VCR
daughter's stereo = stereo AM/FM/cd/tape combo
main stereo = amp, FM receiver, phono x 2, cassette deck, reel to reel & CD library
two cordless phone/answering machine systems
three additional powered extension phones
two irons
two sewing machines: mother & daughter
vacuum cleaners
daughter's computer, monitor, powered speakers, ups, printer & scanner
main computer, monitor, powered speakers, ups, ink-jet printer, photo printer, laser printer & scanner
main server, ups, cable modem, firewall, router/switch & wireless router
fax machine
shredder
three am/fm/clock radio/alarms
built-in am/fm/intercom system
wall warts for charging laptops, cellphones, pdas, cordless devices of all sorts - lots more than I want to count.
main air compressor for air tools - in the garage
downstairs in the shop, always connected:
small air compressor
table saw
1/4 router
1/2 router
shop vac system
drill press
band saw
jointer/planer
14" planer
miter saw
more wall warts & chargers.
lots more power tools that aren't always plugged in

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
stickboy1375 said:
I think Julie just got a bum house... :grin: and if you want I'm sure you can call an electrician to fix your overloaded circuits...

No, Julie is a heavy user :)

The house will be just fine as soon as I move out -- or get rid of all the electronic gear in it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.