2020 NEC 620.62 Selective Coordination 'elevator supplied from --''Same Source''--

l3city

Hi averybody, I have the following questions/comments/concers...that is driving me crazy due to interpretation of the NEC.

2020 NEC 620.62 States that elevator suplied by the same source shall have disconnects with Selective Coordination.

I have two elevators and the plan is to have them connected the following way:

#1- provide a panel (with MCB) at the Machine room, with each elevator being feed (each) from a circuit breaker at such panel.

Does the --Same Source-- starts at the Machine Room Panel MCB or the does the --Same Source--Starts at the Service Main Service Disconnect?

--I guess, I am in doubt as to how many breakers shall be coordinated--

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That seems to be fine the way you’re doing it. You just have to prove that there is coordination between the main breaker and the elevator breaker.
Last thing you want is a fault to take out all the elevators.

Here is an internet pic to show.

Attachments

• IMG_1106.jpeg
    IMG_1106.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3

l3city

That seems to be fine the way you’re doing it. You just have to prove that there is coordination between the main breaker and the elevator breaker.
Last thing you want is a fault to take out all the elevators.

Here is an internet pic to show.
just to clarify...when you mention 'Main Breaker'..is it the main breaker at the machine room Panel?

thx

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
just to clarify...when you mention 'Main Breaker'..is it the main breaker at the machine room Panel?

thx
You must coordinate the breakers so that a fault at the elevator doesn’t take out any other breaker in the facility. Here is a pic that shows selective coordination requirements. I realize it says CEC, but the requirements are the same as NEC.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    548.1 KB · Views: 4

l3city

You must coordinate the breakers so that a fault at the elevator doesn’t take out any other breaker in the facility. Here is a pic that shows selective coordination requirements. I realize it says CEC, but the requirements are the same as NEC.
thanks, I will ask for coordination all the way up to the Service Entrance Section Main Disconnect (just to make sure we are all covered)

thanks again!!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
thanks, I will ask for coordination all the way up to the Service Entrance Section Main Disconnect (just to make sure we are all covered)

thanks again!!
We would coordinate to the utility main or if there was a generator, to the breaker feeding the ATS on the utility side and all the way to the generator. The generator side was usually easier because of the lower fault currents. And don't forget to coordinate ground faults protection where provided upstream, like at the main.