2029 Future PI: 230.90(A) Exception 5

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Since I missed the 2026 deadline, hopefully I'll look back at this in 2.5 years.

Cheers, Wayne

230.90 Where Required
. . .
(A) Ungrounded Conductor.
Such protection shall be provided by an overcurrent device in series with each ungrounded service conductor that has a rating or setting not higher than the ampacity of the conductor. A set of fuses shall be considered all the fuses required to protect all the ungrounded conductors of a circuit. Single-pole circuit breakers, grouped in accordance with 230.71(B), shall be considered as one protective device.
. . .
Exception No. 5: Overload protection in accordance with the conductor ampacities of 310.12 service rating specified in 310.12(A) shall be permitted for single-phase dwelling services.

Statement of Problem and Substantiation for Public Input:

310.12(A) does not change conductor ampacities; rather it assigns a higher "service rating" to conductors for certain single phase dwelling services. So the exception needs to indicate that the overload protection may be sized in accordance with the "service rating" rather than the conductor ampacity.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Just did my NEC code update and wondering if I will renew my license again in 28'. I will be 75 by then If I am still around but probably not

I just hope whatever they do the print does not get any smaller.