20A OCPD Requirment for Recepticles

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the advent of the hated AFCI's :rant:, we install a 15amp /#14 per room, to cover everything (lights & receptacles) in the room. Easier to wire with #14, easier for the troubleshooting that is so common with AFCI's. (though large rooms may get 1 for lighting, 1 for receptacles, or more, based on prints & specs)

I don't try to anticipate occupants using portable heaters nor AC's. I too will be more then happy to return and install dedicated circuits as needed.

glene77is

With modern residential electrical usage, . . .
I think that all new construction should use 20A branch circuits for outlets.
I would go even further and say that each living-space room
should have it's own dedicated branch circuit.

Right on!
This is my practice.
I sell it as a 'better job' which they will need.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I'm curious as to the complaints you had and why you switched to #12 for most of your installs if you think it's an unnecessary change. Mind you, I think lighting circuits are fine at 15A. I'm only talking about outlet circuits in living-space rooms. I suppose they could be #12 wire with 15A OCPD. But there is not much, if any, savings in that and I still think living-space rooms could benefit from 20A branch circuits for outlets.

Well come to think of it I guess I always ran mostly #12, I often had to argue with a new employee about it. The complaints were dimming lites, sometimes kicked breakers when residents used space heaters & etc, made me want to stick with #12. The price difference used to not be much, inexperienced help would grab the wrong roll, just never seemed worthwhile.

So now I haven't wired a new house in a year or two and don't really care whether I ever wire another, on remodels and alterations I use judgement according to situation.

But I have to confess to liking 20 amp circuits in bedrooms, living rooms, etc. But if anyone thinks 15 is better that's fine too.

kbsparky

30 years ago, I visited a cousin in Oklahoma. While there, I was told that all their branch circuits were required to be 20 Amp minimum.

Anyone here from Oklahoma, who can verify the stricter requirements there?

mccayry

I know that my grandfather did some wiring in mississippi after Katrina and they didnt allow #14 at all. I dont know if it was for the whole state or just a certain area.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
As a reference, a single oil-filled radiant space heater can draw 12.5A. That alone will almost max the capacity of a 15A branch circuit.
So we're supposed to compensate for HVAC errors?

You can play the what-if game until you're running 10 AWG circuits supplied by 20A breakers all over the house if you'd like, but there is a section I think bears mention in this discussion:

90.1(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.

90.1(B) Adequacy.
This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

Informational Note: Hazards often occur because of overloading of wiring systems by methods or usage not in conformity with this Code. This occurs because initial wiring did not provide for increases in the use of electricity. An initial adequate installation and reasonable provisions for system changes provide for future increases in the use of electricity.
The Code is not a design standard, it is a minimum installation standard. There are already arguably too many design issues being inflicted on this minimum standard. The question you should ask yourself is, "How many people have died because of this problem I perceive? How many dollars in structural fires will this change prevent?"

There are plenty of houses out there without a 60" plasma TV in every bedroom. With the economy as it is, keeping the electric bill paid is challenge enough. :happyno:

My 2?.

Status
Not open for further replies.