2250-MW Navajo coal-fired plant shut down, under demolition

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
A few comments on your last post with graphs:

- Why are you using the range of 1900 to 2014 instead of the full data set?
- You've only differentiated once in your graphs.
- I don't know enough about data analysis to analyze such a noisy graph, nor to know if we should expect a trend line.
- I'm pretty sure whatever graphs you come up with, subject matter experts and the IPCC have looked at them. My time to duplicate their work is not infinite.

Cheers, Wayne
-I matched the temperature range to the graph of fossil fuel consumption. If I'd found a consumption graph going further in either direction, I'd have extended the temperature graph likewise
- Mmmmm, well you may be right there. Lessee, each point on the graph is a temperature at a particular time, so sort of like position at a particular time? If I don't change my position with time, I get a horizontal line. If I move at a steady pace, a graph of my position is a line with constant slope where the slope is proportional to my velocity. So a least squares fit on the temperature graph should give you the "velocity" of temperature. The derivative function on that graph takes the value at t1 and subtracts it from t2 and plots the value. That's the velocity going from t1 to t2. Now, the least squares fit of all those measurements will be the acceleration, just like the least squares fit of the position graph was velocity. So, I think I may have used the wrong nomenclature, but graphed the correct result.
-I can't help you there but if temperature was going up faster, you should see it in the graph, because world AGW CO2 production is rising year-over-year.
-The IPCC is a political body, not a scientific one. Therefore, it is driven by political considerations. It is interesting that the IPCC's remit was limited to only looking at possible AGW and they were not tasked to examine natural causes as well.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Not the dirtiest or costliest. Nuclear is WAY more expensive, and although it results in less "dirt", (on a kg/MW·hr basis) nuclear's "dirt" is way more dangerous and expensive to store.
I'm definitely ambivalent about nuclear, but coal has killed a lot more people than nuclear, per GWh.

As to cost, purely from the point of view of which existing plant to turn off first (so sunk capital costs are immaterial), is coal cheaper than nuclear on a forward going basis?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
-I matched the temperature range to the graph of fossil fuel consumption. If I'd found a consumption graph going further in either direction, I'd have extended the temperature graph likewise
OK, but your new hypothesis is that the warming trend predates fossil fuel consumption. So looking at longer time scales is appropriate. A brief search provides this graph, which shows warming way beyond any rebound from the Little Ice Age:

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
Yes, I just used a straight line, as I mentioned. I was simply rebutting your comments about reversals. Now you've moved on to more sophisticated objections. For your interest, I remade the graph with the same noise function but overlaid on a parabola with slope 0 at 1900, keeping the values the points (1900, -1) and (2020, 1).

Cheers, Wayne

View attachment 2554714
So, getting back to our temperature vs CO2 curve, it certainly seems that the temperature curve is a lot noisier than the CO2 curve. Wouldn't that suggest that natural influences are much stronger? Otherwise, wouldn't we see comparable levels of noise?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
-The IPCC is a political body, not a scientific one.
Its reports are effectively literature reviews by scientists, right? So I would say it's a scientific one. Nothing is free of politics, but I would expect the effect of politics on the IPCC to be less than, say, the effect of CO2 on global temperature. : - )

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
OK, but your new hypothesis is that the warming trend predates fossil fuel consumption. So looking at longer time scales is appropriate. A brief search provides this graph, which shows warming way beyond any rebound from the Little Ice Age:

Cheers, Wayne
Yes, but your graph is of temperature anomalies, not temperature. Once you get back past 1875 or so, all those reconstructions are based on proxy records which have very low resolution. Notice also that the "huge" spike is on the order of 1C, or about twice the resolution of equipment up until about 1985, and about half of that is also considered to be natural by the same folks that created that graph.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So, getting back to our temperature vs CO2 curve, it certainly seems that the temperature curve is a lot noisier than the CO2 curve. Wouldn't that suggest that natural influences are much stronger? Otherwise, wouldn't we see comparable levels of noise?
I don't follow this logic. The temperature curve is the result of a complex process we don't fully understand that depends on many inputs, not just CO2. CO2 is a likely a small factor overall, it's just the one that humanity is currently changing. So why would the fact that the outcome of that complex process (the temperature curve) is noisy mean that all of the inputs should be noisy as well?

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
Its reports are effectively literature reviews by scientists, right? So I would say it's a scientific one. Nothing is free of politics, but I would expect the effect of politics on the IPCC to be less than, say, the effect of CO2 on global temperature. : - )

Cheers, Wayne
You would likely be wrong. Ben Santer single-handedly rewrote the Summary for Policy Makers and reversed the findings of the scientific working group for the second assessment report (SAR), using alleged findings that were too late for the report and should have been part of the third assessment report, if ever.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Yes, but your graph is of temperature anomalies, not temperature.
Sorry, I don't follow. I'm not that familiar with the graph or the data that went into it, but it purports to be the change in global average temperature relative to some temperature baseline. The zero point of the temperature scale is arbitrary (except for Kelvin and the like), so it is a temperature graph.

Once you get back past 1875 or so, all those reconstructions are based on proxy records which have very low resolution. Notice also that the "huge" spike is on the order of 1C, or about twice the resolution of equipment up until about 1985, and about half of that is also considered to be natural by the same folks that created that graph.
Nonetheless, twice the noise floor is likely significant, isn't it? (Approaching the boundaries of my knowledge) And I think it rules out the "Little Ice Age rebound" theory, assuming the data is trustworthy.

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
I don't follow this logic. The temperature curve is the result of a complex process we don't fully understand that depends on many inputs, not just CO2. CO2 is a likely a small factor overall, it's just the one that humanity is currently changing. So why would the fact that the outcome of that complex process (the temperature curve) is noisy mean that all of the inputs should be noisy as well?

Cheers, Wayne
So if we've gotten to this point, do we really need to double electricity costs in the US and deny access to folks in the 3rd World for such a paltry entity?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
You would likely be wrong.
You may be right. : - )

Ben Santer single-handedly rewrote the Summary for Policy Makers and reversed the findings of the scientific working group for the second assessment report (SAR), using alleged findings that were too late for the report and should have been part of the third assessment report, if ever.
Your statement lacks any information on the magnitude of the change to the report that supposedly nefariously occurred. But say for the moment you're right, are you going to tell me that every report was corrupted every time, and that the scientific consensus was that the climate sensitivity was 0 degrees C per doubling of CO2? I don't think so.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
So if we've gotten to this point, do we really need to double electricity costs
No, we should decrease overall electricity costs by switching to generation forms that produce less CO2. The accounting has to include the future costs of the pollution we are making. Which is what we are debating.

Also, a small component of a huge thing can have a big impact on us. If we figured out how to double or halve cloud cover, that would have a bigger effect on global temperature than doubling CO2 (if I recall correctly). Just because we're not doing that doesn't mean that the impact of CO2 is negligible.

Cheers, Wayne

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I'm definitely ambivalent about nuclear, but coal has killed a lot more people than nuclear, per GWh.
That's the party line, but I suspect a lot of nuclear's deaths and illnesses have been attributed to other things.
There are a lot of confounding variables to filter out, but look at the incidence of leukemia and cancer before & after 1945.

As to cost, purely from the point of view of which existing plant to turn off first (so sunk capital costs are immaterial), is coal cheaper than nuclear on a forward going basis?
I don't know. I remember Nuclear News publishing an article in 1986 saying that the variable costs of nuclear now exceeded the variable costs of coal. (and, of course, capital costs have always been a lot higher)

Uranium enrichment is HUGELY expensive; those high-speed centrifuges don't power themselves and spit out uranium-235 one atom at a time. It might be different if we were talking about CANDU or RBMK reactors, but light-water-moderated PWR and BWR reactors don't run on natural or low-enrichment uranium. (making heavy water for CANDU reactors is also very energy intensive)

There might be a case to be made for generating power while consuming existing stockpiles of fissile radioisotopes. Not on a financial basis, even considering the cost of long-term storage and security, but on the basis of getting rid of the stuff by transmutation. Then the main problems to solve are how to safely reprocess highly-enriched feed materials and high-level waste, and how to safely & securely put weapons-grade materials into civilian hands. Or, if we were to put power reactors under military control, how to safely & securely transport weapons-grade materials hither & yon.

gadfly56

Occupation
You may be right. : - )

Your statement lacks any information on the magnitude of the change to the report that supposedly nefariously occurred. But say for the moment you're right, are you going to tell me that every report was corrupted every time, and that the scientific consensus was that the climate sensitivity was 0 degrees C per doubling of CO2? I don't think so.

Cheers, Wayne
The change was from "no discernable human signal" (not an exact quote, just the tenor) to "definite human signal" (same caveat). His findings were made the year the assessment was written. The rules for the IPCC were that they would only consider information that had been published by the end of the prior year (1994). It was a clear violation, the more so because his findings hadn't even been published and hadn't even been peer-reviewed.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The change was from "no discernable human signal" (not an exact quote, just the tenor) to "definite human signal" (same caveat). His findings were made the year the assessment was written. The rules for the IPCC were that they would only consider information that had been published by the end of the prior year (1994). It was a clear violation, the more so because his findings hadn't even been published and hadn't even been peer-reviewed.
Okay, let's say I accept that info. One improper move 25 years ago does not impugn all the future work of the organization. And unless you can rebut all the future IPCC reports, under your narrative, he turned out to be correct, per the subsequent reports even if the statement was not justified by the prior rules of the report writing.

Cheers, Wayne

gadfly56

Occupation
That's the party line, but I suspect a lot of nuclear's deaths and illnesses have been attributed to other things.
There are a lot of confounding variables to filter out, but look at the incidence of leukemia and cancer before & after 1945.
I remember doing a paper in college on the Sternglass report, alleging an increase in leukemia in children in NYS as a result of above ground tests. I reviewed a copy of his paper, and noted in my report that Sternglass had ignored a significant bump in the numbers around 1936 or so. Not a shining moment for the good professor.

gadfly56

Occupation
Okay, let's say I accept that info. One improper move 25 years ago does not impugn all the future work of the organization. And unless you can rebut all the future IPCC reports, under your narrative, he turned out to be correct, per the subsequent reports even if the statement was not justified by the prior rules of the report writing.

Cheers, Wayne
OK, the sins of the IPCC are many and repetitive. They claim they only look at scientific literature, yet about 1/3 of their citations are from non-governmental agencies, like the World Wildlife Federation, or the Sierra Club. But, this isn't the forum to continue discussions of the IPCC, so we're going to have to disagree on this one. Folks like Professor Richard Lindzen, Dr. Judith Curry, and Dr. Roy Spence, to mention a few, are among those who don't get excited over the IPCC pronouncements. We could also start a discussion of the CMIP 5 and CMIP 6 results compared to actual temperature records, but that would take us further afield than anyone else would want to go. More than I would want to go, at this site anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.