240V Water Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

mivey

Some units only have an adjustment for the bottom element. The top may have a fixed thermostat.

At any rate, there should be two thermostats if you have two elements. Look past the edge of the insulation.

EEC

Testing for voltage?

Testing for voltage?

I think that I remember checking for voltage at both elements and detected 240V on both at about the same time. Is this possible?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The label says 4500w upper, 4500w lower, 4500w total. That indicates that only one element at a time can be energized.

The upper T-stat is a SPDT switch, which prevents simultaneous operation, and being a single-pole switch, only switches one line.

mivey

I think that I remember checking for voltage at both elements and detected 240V on both at about the same time. Is this possible?
The upper thermostat is not supposed to transfer power to the lower thermostat until it is satisfied (the connection makes left black (L1) and left brown (T2) until the upper t-stat is satisfied then makes left black (L1) with lower right red(T4)). If it is sending power to the left brown (T2) and lower right red (T4) at the same time, the thermostat is defective.

There is a thermostat under the gray plastic on bottom.

Last edited:

mivey

When it works properly, it is possible to read 240 volts from left brown to lower right red (T2 to T4) as you can have the power leg on the right (L3) back-feeding through the lower thermostat.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A water heater is quite simple. As Larry stated the upper t-stat is a SPDT switch. The top of the tank is where the hot water exits. The cold water line enters the bottom of the tank. This is why the upper t-stat must make sure the upper part of the tank is satisfied at all times. Once the temp in the upper tank is satisfied then the t-stat will allow the bottom sp t-stat to energize the bottom element if necessary. If at anytime the upper part of the tank gets below the temp. set at the t-stat then it will shut the bottom element off and transfer power to the top element.

Status
Not open for further replies.