5/8" drywalls when I set all my boxes for 1/2"

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I set all my boxes for 1/2" sheetrock but the drywall guy wants to use 5/8" throughout the whole house. No adjusting boxes now. I don't see this as a huge problem, am I missing anything important here? Thanks

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Just ask them to cut the drywall tight to the box size and get some longer screws.
Using that notch on the side of the box never worked well for me.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
3865-home_default.jpg

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the 5/8" drywall is installed correctly, your boxes will be 1/4" recessed. 98% of drywallers install the drywall incorrectly in which case expect your boxes to be recessed 5/8". Expect to use a lot of box extenders.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I’ve started to use these when needed. This isn’t the brand that I use but same concept. They work awesome!

3cc6a39c6971a372f98443f4c9ed1c47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

synchro

Occupation
EE
If the 5/8" drywall is installed correctly, your boxes will be 1/4" recessed. 98% of drywallers install the drywall incorrectly in which case expect your boxes to be recessed 5/8". Expect to use a lot of box extenders.
If it's really recessed that much you might use one of these metal extenders, but the cost is going to add up if you have a lot of them:
In the Chicago metro area it all has to be metal, no plastic.
There are metal versions of the plastic extender that Larry posted such as the ones below but they are not listed by an NRTL, so that's a no-go here. From looking at them in my hand, I suspect that's because they might increase the likelihood of shorting unless carefully installed.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If boxes set for 1/2", is it possible they'd only be recessed 1/8"?

When plastic boxes are installed with 1/2" drywall they are recessed 1/8" if the drywall is properly installed. 1/8" is halfway between the 1/4" max recess allowed by NEC and flush giving the maximum allowable error in installation. If the boxes were designed to be flush, they would occasionally be above the drywall when installed incorrectly. Above the drywall is very bad.

Last edited:

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
When plastic boxes are installed with 1/2" drywall they are recessed 1/8" if the drywall is properly installed. 1/8" is halfway between the 1/4" max recess allowed by NEC and flush giving the maximum allowable error in installation. If the boxes were designed to be flush, they would occasionally be above the drywall when installed incorrectly. Above the drywall is very bad.

Actually I prefer 9/16 to 7/16, a little proud if sheetrock is tight to stud, if too proud bump box on the side the stud is on, nails will bend enough to bring box back to flush, rarely is this necessary

No more floaters!

Last edited:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are you saying plastic boxes are specifically designed to not be installed flush with finish? Or is this personal preference?

They are designed to be recessed 1/8". Take a plastic box. Slide it against a 2x4 until it hits the stud stops. Measure the distance the box protrudes past the face of the 2x4. That distance is 3/8". (You can do this at Home Depot if you don't stock these items.)

Status
Not open for further replies.