Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Could I use plaster rings and standard plastic covers without sheetrock up and pass inspection or do I need to use a mulberry cover?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Finish inspection means finish. It ain't finished until the sheetrock is up. How would the inspector be able to see that the plates cover the cut outs for instance?

You going to hang fixtures, smokes and fans too?

-Hal

nickelec

What if it were a garage that wasn't getting rocked, I'm guessing then I would need to use mulberry covers instead

nickelec

In nyc I use 1900 boxes everywhere for outlets and switches so I can easy put an Austin/mulberry cover on

nickelec

Like this
f5df0ba11a539b19a314a10e014853d9.jpg

hbiss

Occupation
EC
You need to get some Colorado Jims on those cables. Not seeing any staples at all either. The 1-1/4" rule still applies to MC/AC.

Is that mangled cable armor I see on that one coming out the top of that box far right?

-Hal

GerryB

Could I use plaster rings and standard plastic covers without sheetrock up and pass inspection or do I need to use a mulberry cover?

I would say you can do as described. I have done it and seen it many times. The only objection could be since the plate sticks out past the box a kid or someone might catch themselves on it. Having said that mulberry covers look a lot better.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Mulberry is a company. What is a Mulberry cover?

Now I'm thinking the same thing. I ASSumed he was referring to a handi-box cover that will cover the opening of a raised ring nicely. I often do that for temporary situations where a switch has to be made hot before the sheetrock goes up to protect people from sticking their fingers inside the box. But I wouldn't consider that for a permanent installation.

If the boxes are to remain exposed they should be treated as exposed work with suitable boxes and covers. You wouldn't put a box on a concrete wall and finish it with a regular plate. Neither should you here. Plastic plates are not made for that purpose and in a few years will be broken. If I were an inspector I would fail that.

-Hal

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That is even without the sheetrock. The inspector can then check the connections in the box oh, and check the wire length excetera

nickelec

I plan to sheetrock just not yet probably 1-2 months but the rest of the house is done

nickelec

They do not do open wall inspections in NYC there's simply not enough personal to effectively do it

kwired

Electron manager
In our area you must have the rough-in inspection before you can trim it out
Even when everything you are installing is exposed/surface mounted?

Say you made a single run of raceway with no more than 10 boxes with devices in them. 1/2 day job or even less if you don't have to wait for an inspector to tell you you can put devices in. Here the inspector might be 100 miles away that day - that is how large their territories can be around here.

nickelec

Hence why 99% of the time no one Staples ac/MC cable unless it's in the way of the rockers

Status
Not open for further replies.