Inspection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Even when everything you are installing is exposed/surface mounted?

Say you made a single run of raceway with no more than 10 boxes with devices in them. 1/2 day job or even less if you don't have to wait for an inspector to tell you you can put devices in. Here the inspector might be 100 miles away that day - that is how large their territories can be around here.

In one area the inspectors state that they are not responsible for opening up the boxes. I did a small carport with 2 receptacles, 1 switch and a light. I had to go back a second time to trim it out-- all exposed

kwired

Electron manager
In one area the inspectors state that they are not responsible for opening up the boxes. I did a small carport with 2 receptacles, 1 switch and a light. I had to go back a second time to trim it out-- all exposed
Here they just randomly open up a box at times if they want to look at your connections. On new construction almost never have any connections made up at rough in unless it is something that is already in use. Rough inspection involving raceways might not even have any conductors pulled yet .
Not a metro area and inspectors typically get to know the contractors to some extent, and don't necessarily look over every detail with those they trust. Try to pull things off and they catch on and they will be looking harder in the future. Still get that one inspector here or there that does typically look at more details, especially if he is not so familiar with you and your work, but even then will often just pull a few random covers or even devices and as long as there is consistency will probably assume you did the same for all of them.

nickelec

What do you guys think ? Can you think of any violations?
2971978e84d55ddf90cfc9df1cab2343.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Please explain what a austin/mulberry cover is... I am guessing its so you can use a 4S box and the AHJ can look at the wiring. Are they used with MC cable.
Just asking as its not something we see in Washington

kwired

Electron manager
Please explain what a austin/mulberry cover is... I am guessing its so you can use a 4S box and the AHJ can look at the wiring. Are they used with MC cable.
Just asking as its not something we see in Washington
It is just a simple raised cover that accepts a cover mounted device(s), those are two different brand names that happen to be out there.

Larry posted just seconds before I did - something like he showed is made with those names - and some people refer to them with those names.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is this in an ax tossing a facility? If not secure the box (those metal studs look flimsy) and cables properly and you should be fine.
In the end it's up to the inspector and how you want to proceed with there decision.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
2008 NEC 404.7 - General purpose switch does not indicate whether they are in the open or closed position.

Interesting. I wonder if there is small imprint of ON and OFF somewhere on the edge of the rocker. This 404.7 is still in the 2017 NEC.

Anyone ever had an inspector fail because of a Decora single pole switch? Maybe they think they are all three way...... ;)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Who even looks, much less needs to look, at words when operating a switch?

Besides, "indicating" does not necessarily require words.

Does not the position of a switch handle, toggle, or rocker indicate the state of a single-pole switch?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
How did Decora style switches get listed then?
Interesting. I wonder if there is small imprint of ON and OFF somewhere on the edge of the rocker. This 404.7 is still in the 2017 NEC.
Does not the position of a switch handle, toggle, or rocker indicate the state of a single-pole switch?

"TOP" is indicated on the switch frame so that it will be installed such that the position of the rocker is correct.

Now, what do you do if you have to install it horizontally? :cool:

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.