GFI outlet allowed in crawl space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That would be an authority having jurisdiction call. IMO, the wording my support allowing it there but it is always a bad idea, IMO

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It it is a service receptacle or even if it is powering equipment, I would like it to be a GFCI receptacle. In the first case you can easily reset it if you cause it to trip, and in the second case, you have at least get somewhat close to the powered equipment to reset it...maybe you will find the reason for the trip.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I'm with Dennis on it being an AHJ call, but IMO I wouldn't want to crawl in a crawl space just to reset a gfci. Breaker doesn't cost that much more.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I recall some factory wired (HUD) mobile homes that had a GFCI receptacle under the mobile home primarily for heat tape installs and that GFCI had other receptacles protected (can't recall which ones but I do recall the 3 hour service call :) )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So I crawl thru the entire crawl space to find the gfci to reset it and that is readily accessible? Yet, many believe the receptacle in the back of a kitchen cabinet is not readily accessible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So I crawl thru the entire crawl space to find the gfci to reset it and that is readily accessible? Yet, many believe the receptacle in the back of a kitchen cabinet is not readily accessible.
I hear you but all we have to go by is the NEC definition which would permit crawling. :giggle:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
When I wired my crawl for lights in mid 80's I put the lights on a gfci recpt, switch and it are next to access door.
Seems like 2020 NEC has a chage on GFCI in crawl spaces?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have a gfci receptacle in my crawl space to power a 2-gallon water heater, which supplies my bidet.

I ain't about having cold water for some things 😁

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Don't GFCIs still need to be periodically tested? I know that few people actually do it, but if looking at the letter of the law (Article 110 requiring following manufacturers' instructions), having to access a crawl space once per month to test your GFCI seems like a major PITA...

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
IMHO I would consider 'readily accessible' relative to the reason for having the GFCI.

If the reason for being in the crawl space requires you to use something GFCI protected, then having the GFCI right there is clearly readily accessible. Say you need to run a shop vac to clear a flood; having to leave the crawl space to reset a GFCI would really suck. If a user is right there in front of the GFCI, it is readily accessible!

If a GFCI in the crawl space protects something outside of that space...that might meet the technical definition of readily accessible, but at the very least would be horrible design.

-Jon

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
I believe working space requirements would apply and I don't know many crawl spaces that are 3 ft.

I'm not even sure what the code reference is that would require a receptacle or light in the crawl space.
It's always just kind been common knowledge for me that if there is any type of equipment in there that may require servicing, a receptacle, switch, and a light are a good idea.

GFCI protection has been required IF you put a receptacle in the crawl space for some time now... and I believe 2017 required the crawl space lighting outlet to be GFCI protected now too.

People just put the GFCI receptacle in there because it was the cheaper way to get it done.
The protection is definitely required, but can be done with a breaker.

I'm curious what the actual code reference for installing a receptacle or light in there is. I know the protection is required if you do, but I can't think of a code reference that would require them to be in there at the moment...

I'm also curious about working space requirements relative to this install...

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I believe working space requirements would apply and I don't know many crawl spaces that are 3 ft.

I'm not even sure what the code reference is that would require a receptacle or light in the crawl space.
It's always just kind been common knowledge for me that if there is any type of equipment in there that may require servicing, a receptacle, switch, and a light are a good idea.

GFCI protection has been required IF you put a receptacle in the crawl space for some time now... and I believe 2017 required the crawl space lighting outlet to be GFCI protected now too.

People just put the GFCI receptacle in there because it was the cheaper way to get it done.
The protection is definitely required, but can be done with a breaker.

I'm curious what the actual code reference for installing a receptacle or light in there is. I know the protection is required if you do, but I can't think of a code reference that would require them to be in there at the moment...

I'm also curious about working space requirements relative to this install...
GFCI is not a piece of equipment that would need servicing or working on, so it doesn't have to meet 110.26 space requirements.

Jerramundi

Occupation
GFCI is not a piece of equipment that would need servicing or working on, so it doesn't have to meet 110.26 space requirements.
I disagree.
The opening paragraph of 110.26 clearly states "...working space shall be provided and maintained about ALL electrical equipment..."

Are you arguing that a GFCI receptacle is not "electrical equipment?"

Jerramundi

Occupation
According to the handbook, "examination" could be something as simple as testing for voltage, in which case 110.26(A) would kick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.