Electrician Licensing in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just some info for all NJ electricians (see attached PDF). I received this info from one of our CEU instructors and thought ZI'd pass it on.

Attachments

• Electrician Licensing Goes into Effect in NJ.pdf
    884.3 KB · Views: 210

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Good info and another example of political payback to the IBEW. I wonder who is going to actually enforce it? Certainly not building departments who can't even do plan review or inspections in a timely manner. The most galling part of this is that if you already hold and pay for an electrical contractors license you will still have to pay for a second journeyman's license. This state continues to go down the toilet.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Good info and another example of political payback to the IBEW. I wonder who is going to actually enforce it? Certainly not building departments who can't even do plan review or inspections in a timely manner. The most galling part of this is that if you already hold and pay for an electrical contractors license you will still have to pay for a second journeyman's license. This state continues to go down the toilet.
It’s one thing to have a license but another thing to be able to contract business with the public. To do so they will have to both file for a business permit and have enough insurance to back it up. But, you are right, unless you want to spend your time to drive to Newark New Jersey and go to the meetings at Halsey Street and voice your opinion this is what happens. I am told there are people on the board representing IBEW but none representing us independent electricians. There are groups from landscapers to alarm installers to HVAC contractors all petitioning the board to be allowed to do electrical work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It’s one thing to have a license but another thing to be able to contract business with the public. To do so they will have to both file for a business permit and have enough insurance to back it up. But, you are right, unless you want to spend your time to drive to Newark New Jersey and go to the meetings at Halsey Street and voice your opinion this is what happens. I am told there are people on the board representing IBEW but none representing us independent electricians. There are groups from landscapers to alarm installers to HVAC contractors all petitioning the board to be allowed to do electrical work.
I don't blame the IBEW, this is part of their mission to use politics to tilt things in their direction. Hats off to them for using their clout to first get a 4 year apprenticeship requirement for obtaining a contractors license and now this. The first one is completely unfair to anyone who has worked for years and wants to go out on their own but that's a different issue.

Licensing for every electrician should in theory elevate the type of work being done but let's face it there is already a labor shortage so how will small contractors deal with this new requirement? Since there is no testing involved this seems more like a speed bump than a obstacle as long as you fork over the money to the state for a license. Who knows maybe testing will come along in the future. Right now this seems like more of a money grab than anything else.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't blame the IBEW, this is part of their mission to use politics to tilt things in their direction. Hats off to them for using their clout to first get a 4 year apprenticeship requirement for obtaining a contractors license and now this. The first one is completely unfair to anyone who has worked for years and wants to go out on their own but that's a different issue.

Licensing for every electrician should in theory elevate the type of work being done but let's face it there is already a labor shortage so how will small contractors deal with this new requirement? Since there is no testing involved this seems more like a speed bump than a obstacle as long as you fork over the money to the state for a license. Who knows maybe testing will come along in the future. Right now this seems like more of a money grab than anything else.
It's also not clear whether company employees can continue to work under the contractor's license. Will everyone touching a pair of Kleins need to have a license?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's also not clear whether company employees can continue to work under the contractor's license. Will everyone touching a pair of Kleins need to have a license?
From the document that goldie posted it seems so. Every electrician working in the state will be required to hold a license. The fuzzy part is how will you qualify for the Class A journeyman or Class B wiremen license. I would assume that anyone currently working for a contractor will automatically qualify for one or the other unless they're in an approved apprenticeship program, then they would qualify for the apprentice license. All of this yet Joe Homeowner can still wire his own house.

The more I think about it without testing for each classification this seems to be pretty meaningless other than removing cash from everyone's pocket.

Hats off to them for using their clout to first get a 4 year apprenticeship requirement for obtaining a contractors license and now this. The first one is completely unfair to anyone who has worked for years and wants to go out on their own but that's a different issue.

They just pushed through something similar in WA state (well a while back but it recently went into effect). To get a commercial electrician's license you must go through an approved apprenticeship program now and no other experience can apply to the 8,000 hour requirement. As someone who has learned on the job with small shops I find that absolutely atrocious. Like most places with a shortage of electricians and with all the growth going on there, timing seems absurd as well.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They just pushed through something similar in WA state (well a while back but it recently went into effect). To get a commercial electrician's license you must go through an approved apprenticeship program now and no other experience can apply to the 8,000 hour requirement. As someone who has learned on the job with small shops I find that absolutely atrocious. Like most places with a shortage of electricians and with all the growth going on there, timing seems absurd as well.
I get wanting licensing to improve the quality of electricians (after all here in NJ you need to license to wash hair in a hair salon) but it should be a level playing field. My BIL is an electrical contractor and he worked for my FIL for years before he took over the company when the FIL died. Now he wouldn't even be able to sit for the licensing exam until after he spent 4 years in an approved apprenticeship. Talk about denying someone their right to earn a living.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
The more I think about it without testing for each classification this seems to be pretty meaningless other than removing cash from everyone's pocket.

That’s all I’m seeing here.

If this were in Georgia I’d be parked on the capital steps. But I also accept politics in NJ are vastly different than Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
Believing State of Oregon, is similar.

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
That’s all I’m seeing here.

If this were in Georgia I’d be parked on the capital steps. But I also accept politics in NJ are vastly different than Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
State of N. Carolina (around RTP area) believe yesterday there were posting(s) of about 170(+ -) on-line advertisements, Electricians wanted. I'm sitting back watching the posted "pay-scale" increase, on some of these listed advertisements. They can't seem to fill these openings.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Part of the reasons given for this requirement is the low first time pass rate for the state test is about 55% for the Journeylevel test and to be able to maintain reciprocity with Oregon. Oregon has long looked down on WA electricians, the minimum passing score for the Oregon tate test is 75%, we are 70%
The law was passed in 2018 and goes into effect July 2023. If an electrician has passed an equivalent apprenticeship in another state then they can apply to take the WA test
If you hold a 4,000 hour WA specialty license (residential, non resi maint, etc) then you can use those hours to apply towards the journeylevel apprentice program.
There have been many companies that have set up in house apprenticeship programs, and of course there is the IEC.
I agree there is a shortage, is this a good solution? I don't know, it will be interesting to see.
Here is the link to the passed legislation https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bien...on Laws/Senate/6126-S.SL.pdf?q=20220513112840

ritelec

This is ridiculous. Just another way to may money.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 4.16.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-13 at 4.16.17 PM.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 31

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is ridiculous. Just another way to may money.
I agree, that was my initial thought as well. Contractors already pay for their licenses and they'll have to pay again for a Journeyman's license? That's just thievery.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Someone else please review, but I'm not seeing where a licensed contractor would also need to be licensed as a journeyman.

Also this will enable the state to grant temporary licenses to out of state contractors.

nickelec

The attachment does not work for me I currently hold a NJ license what are they saying we need to do

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

I agree, that was my initial thought as well. Contractors already pay for their licenses and they'll have to pay again for a Journeyman's license? That's just thievery.
So as is the contractors license "includes" the electricians license? In Washington, for example, you would need three licenses to work for yourself (which I have, I work for myself) You need an electrician's license, electrical contractors license, and electrical administrator license. Anybody can be an electrical contractor and there is no test but you do need an electrical administrator assigned to the business. The administrator requires a test but no experience. So what I have seen a few people do is get the administrators then just sign up as an electrical contractor and you can pull permits. You are not supposed to actually do the work without an electricians license (general or specialty) but it's pretty rare to be asked for your license in my experience.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So as is the contractors license "includes" the electricians license? In Washington, for example, you would need three licenses to work for yourself (which I have, I work for myself) You need an electrician's license, electrical contractors license, and electrical administrator license. Anybody can be an electrical contractor and there is no test but you do need an electrical administrator assigned to the business. The administrator requires a test but no experience. So what I have seen a few people do is get the administrators then just sign up as an electrical contractor and you can pull permits. You are not supposed to actually do the work without an electricians license (general or specialty) but it's pretty rare to be asked for your license in my experience.
Here to be an electrical contractor you have two parts, one part is an electrical contractors license and the other part is a business permit. Anyone that meets the work/education requirements and can pass the exam can get an electrical contractors license. To keep it active you would need to do 34 hours of CEU's and pay to renew it every three years. That license however does not allow you to pull permits or run a business as an electrical contractor. Those things require the second part, a business permit that is in the name of the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.