Electrician Licensing in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

I have my license in NYC, one of the most horrible experiences of my life dealing with the department of buildings good luck

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Nertilduraku

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I really think that you should call them before you get yourself down. They way I read that law is that there is a grace period from 2018 to December 2022.

Between December 17, 2018 and December 17, 2022 the Board will accept each year of employment obtained in the electrical field prior to December 17,2018 in lieu of one year’s enrollment in an electrical apprenticeship program approved and accredited by the United States Department of Labor.

If they don't accept your prior work experience, while very disappointing you're not going to start over with your salary given your experience.
Thank for your reply, i emailed them Friday to confirm everything and if i am qualified. Before Dec 2018 i have 2 years of experience Jan 2016 to Dec 2018, but if they accept this, i don’t know if still need to go to apprenticeship school for another two years? If so that’s a problem, my salary passes 100k with my current employer, either i have to be commited to work or to go to school and start over. The problem is not the school, the problem is the union and non union politics that are aiming to grab cheap labor from apprentices and if i go to school, ill have to do hours in field for cheap for ec while i have 7 years of experience now. I understand they have grace period but i never looked to get licensed before because I didn’t had the years to qualify and wasn’t moving to NJ. Now options to live came but to work and open a business no. America is land of options and opportunities but this law just killed options and opportunities. Anyway, politics change also laws, let’s hope for better. Not everyone had chance to become union, they are politicized, everyone had to start somewhere, non union workers just got squashed as they always do, no medical insurances, no pension funds , no representation, no 401k, something’s wrong big time.

Nertilduraku

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I also feel your pain. Welcome to NJ. FYI, It's not going to get better. Good luck in NYC.
Thanks for replying, do you mean it will not get better in general or in NJ? Because NY doesn’t have state wide licensure rules, all jurisdictions belong to the cities within. I hardly believe something like this will happen in NYC, i.b.e.w local 3 is enough busy or have no power to change laws in NYC, and im not against any apprenticeship or school degree for electricians, i just think they need to approach this the right way, without cutting peoples option. Let the academics deal with this not the IEC and IBEW managers

RWC/NC.

Occupation
Electrical
I've noticed "huge change" in open shop advertisements, on-line on East -Coast since my returning from out-west. Benefits packages being offered that were non-existent couple decades ago. Really, it was quite surprising.

*Major Medical
*Dental Insurance
*Paid Family Time off.
*Vacation
*Classes offered regarding field employee development.
It's depending on the employer, regarding packages offered.
The money per hour, still alot left being desired during present "current economic times".

But the Representation, being huge factor in regards to the employee.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Thank for your reply, i emailed them Friday to confirm everything and if i am qualified. Before Dec 2018 i have 2 years of experience Jan 2016 to Dec 2018, but if they accept this, i don’t know if still need to go to apprenticeship school for another two years? If so that’s a problem, my salary passes 100k with my current employer, either i have to be commited to work or to go to school and start over. The problem is not the school, the problem is the union and non union politics that are aiming to grab cheap labor from apprentices and if i go to school, ill have to do hours in field for cheap for ec while i have 7 years of experience now. I understand they have grace period but i never looked to get licensed before because I didn’t had the years to qualify and wasn’t moving to NJ. Now options to live came but to work and open a business no. America is land of options and opportunities but this law just killed options and opportunities. Anyway, politics change also laws, let’s hope for better. Not everyone had chance to become union, they are politicized, everyone had to start somewhere, non union workers just got squashed as they always do, no medical insurances, no pension funds , no representation, no 401k, something’s wrong big time.

I don't understand why you would think that your salary would start cover. I would think it would just be a matter of you enrolling in a local vocational school and getting your current employer to sign the agreement for the school

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for replying, do you mean it will not get better in general or in NJ? Because NY doesn’t have state wide licensure rules, all jurisdictions belong to the cities within. I hardly believe something like this will happen in NYC, i.b.e.w local 3 is enough busy or have no power to change laws in NYC, and im not against any apprenticeship or school degree for electricians, i just think they need to approach this the right way, without cutting peoples option. Let the academics deal with this not the IEC and IBEW managers
I just meant NJ. BTW, I'm told by a friend that works in NYC that the Local 3 came to a resolution with non-union contractors. All electrical work in mid-town Manhattan (I believce that covers from 60th-14th Sts. - N-S-E-W) has to be done by union contractors. All other areas are free to be done by non-union workers. Someone who may know better please correct me if I'm wrong.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't understand why you would think that your salary would start cover. I would think it would just be a matter of you enrolling in a local vocational school
Easily said than done. When do you go to school ? Nights ? Days ? It's tough when you already have a family.
and getting your current employer to sign the agreement for the school
Good luck with that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I just meant NJ. BTW, I'm told by a friend that works in NYC that the Local 3 came to a resolution with non-union contractors. All electrical work in mid-town Manhattan (I believce that covers from 60th-14th Sts. - N-S-E-W) has to be done by union contractors. All other areas are free to be done by non-union workers. Someone who may know better please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't believe that is true. That means that Local #3 is abandoning the entire financial district and all of lower Manhattan? No way.

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
Easily said than done. When do you go to school ? Nights ? Days ? It's tough when you already have a family.

Good luck with that.

The county vocational school programs are two nights a week, 3 hours a night, and run from September to April/ May. That doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice if you need to do it.

Why on earth would an employer not sign an apprenticeship agreement for a dedicated employee???

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't believe that is true. That means that Local #3 is abandoning the entire financial district and all of lower Manhattan? No way.
I know it's hard to believe but according to a friend of mine Local 3 carves out zones like Hudson Yards that covers 30-34th Sts. from 10th Ave to West Side Hwy. They also have a stranglehold on mid-town Manhattan. However, building owners today are opting to use non-union EC's because they are more cost competitive for the build-out work. The non-union shops don't have the men and/or expertise (and probably the financial ability) to bring in 15K amp and higher switch-gear and feeders so the union contractors get all that work.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The county vocational school programs are two nights a week, 3 hours a night, and run from September to April/ May. That doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice if you need to do it.
It is if you want to spend time with your kids. If it's just you and your wife - go for it.

Why on earth would an employer not sign an apprenticeship agreement for a dedicated employee???

Why does an employer have to "sign an agreement" unless you expect him to pay for the education ?

nickelec

I know it's hard to believe but according to a friend of mine Local 3 carves out zones like Hudson Yards that covers 30-34th Sts. from 10th Ave to West Side Hwy. They also have a stranglehold on mid-town Manhattan. However, building owners today are opting to use non-union EC's because they are more cost competitive for the build-out work. The non-union shops don't have the men and/or expertise (and probably the financial ability) to bring in 15K amp and higher switch-gear and feeders so the union contractors get all that work.
How about outfits like top shelf they have a few hundred men probably and can do pretty much anything any union shop could, they are non union

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Ken_S

Occupation
Electrician
I thought I'd provide an update on this. A member of the IAEI chapter is on the electrical board, he went over some information on this topic tonight.

1. As stated before, the board does not have this all worked out yet...so stay tuned
2. Licensed electrical contractors will not need any other license other than the electrical contractors license
3. There will be three licenses, apprentice, wireman, and journeyman.
4. The wireman status seems like a middle ground for people who are not in an apprenticeship program or met the journeyman requirements.
5. These licenses will require 15 hours of ceu every 3 years.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
California started this. Now, for C20's and other classifications ... By 2023 I will need Workman's Compensation Insurance whether I have employees or not.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
California started this. Now, for C20's and other classifications
I think its just C20's not other C's yet or did they add low voltage HVAC finally?. And then there is the loophole thats bigger than L.A. itself that a general "B" contractor can do all their own electrical work without limit, no matter what the project size, amps, volts or type. So if say your a general B building a hirise with 13.5 kv service, or a hospital with back up gens or airport runway lighting and you pull a permit for more than 2 trades you can do all the electrical with your own unlicensed staff, I don't see that loop hole in the NJ law.

Part of the reasons given for this requirement is the low first time pass rate for the state test is about 55% for the Journeylevel test and to be able to maintain reciprocity with Oregon.
We were trying to go the other direction and harmonize with your laws...
Oregon has long looked down on WA electricians,
woah woah hey! lots of us never looked down on you guys, just for the record.
The law was passed in 2018 and goes into effect July 2023. If an electrician has passed an equivalent apprenticeship in another state then they can apply to take the WA test
If you hold a 4,000 hour WA specialty license (residential, non resi maint, etc) then you can use those hours to apply towards the journeylevel apprentice program.
There have been many companies that have set up in house apprenticeship programs, and of course there is the IEC.
I agree there is a shortage, is this a good solution? I don't know, it will be interesting to see.
Here is the link to the passed legislation https://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/Session Laws/Senate/6126-S.SL.pdf?q=20220513112840
A bunch of us were always pushing for Oregon to adopt Washington states law, I thought it was much more sane and fair. Its very disappointing to see Washington state loose the trainee option. I have seen countless good people flunk out of the required night school here, classes just run late and there are not ANY options in some rural areas, people drop out for just the commute time alone. Also some people just learn different ways , school not bing one of them, and having such limited options is really bad for the trade.

. Its very disappointing to see Washington state loose the trainee option. I have seen countless good people flunk out of the required night school here, classes just run late and there are not ANY options in some rural areas, people drop out for just the commute time alone. Also some people just learn different ways , school not bing one of them, and having such limited options is really bad for the trade.
Yes that was EXTREMELY disappointing. However it seems they have developed a way where someone can be considered an apprentice under someone, I actually have to look into that for one of my guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.