3 Element water heater

Status
Not open for further replies.

ufeonline

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hello,
I currently have a 3-element water heater with 3- 2pole breakers 40amp on the main panel and 3 non fusible disconnects next to the water heater. Inspector is requesting to put a handle tie to simultaneously trip all 3 breakers. I have contacted various supply stores and they indicate that it does not exist. Inspector is requesting a sub panel next to the water heater and just a main breaker at the panel. This doesn't make any sense to me. Is there any were in the code that references simultaneously tripping all 3 breakers for a water heater?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Equipment can have more than one supply and does not require that they all be handle-tied together. The reason that you cannot find one is because they are not required. Ask for a code reference.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I don't agree with the inspector. 422.30 simply says the disconnect means shall be grouped and identified.

ufeonline

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Equipment can have more than one supply and does not require that they all be handle-tied together. The reason that you cannot find one is because they are not required. Ask for a code reference.

Welcome to the Forum. :)
Just asked for a code reference. Lets see what he comes up with.
Thank you very much for the quick response. I will update as soon as he send it.

ufeonline

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't agree with the inspector. 422.30 simply says the disconnect means shall be grouped and identified.
thank you for the quick response. I agree. I don't understand what a subpanel will do differently than the 3- 2pole breakers at the main panel won't do. Hes asking to simultaneously trip all 3 breakers but with a sub panel it will do the same thing.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I don't understand what a subpanel will do differently than the 3- 2pole breakers at the main panel won't do. Hes asking to simultaneously trip all 3 breakers but with a sub panel it will do the same thing.
He probably doesn't mean that they would all trip together, becsuse that wouldn't happen with a hndle tie.

He probably means to turn all off together for servicing the unit.

With a subpanel that includes a main breaker, that main could be turned off and it would shut down all 3 circuits at the same time.

Not that I agree with his request, just that I think I understand what he's after

ufeonline

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Inspector replied with N.E.C 422.30 and also replied with N.E.C 90.4. In article 422.30 says:

422.30 General. A means shall be provided to simultaneously disconnect each appliance from all ungrounded conductors in accordance with the following sections of Part III. If an appliance is supplied by more than one branch circuit or feeder, these disconnecting means shall be grouped and identified as being the multiple disconnecting means for the appliance. Each disconnecting means shall simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors that it controls.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Inspector replied with N.E.C 422.30 and also replied with N.E.C 90.4. In article 422.30 says:

422.30 General. A means shall be provided to simultaneously disconnect each appliance from all ungrounded conductors in accordance with the following sections of Part III. If an appliance is supplied by more than one branch circuit or feeder, these disconnecting means shall be grouped and identified as being the multiple disconnecting means for the appliance. Each disconnecting means shall simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors that it controls.
So he's incorrect based on what you've posted.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
If an appliance is supplied by more than one branch circuit or feeder, these disconnecting means shall be grouped and identified as being the multiple disconnecting means for the appliance.

You currently have more than one branch circuit, with multiple disconnecting means. Are they grouped and identified?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

422.30 General. A means shall be provided to simultaneously disconnect each appliance from all ungrounded conductors in accordance with the following sections of Part III. If an appliance is supplied by more than one branch circuit or feeder,
That's what you have.
these disconnecting means shall be grouped and identified as being the multiple disconnecting means for the appliance.
It sounds like you did that. Maybe need to add some labels?
Each disconnecting means shall simultaneously disconnect all ungrounded conductors that it controls.
That's what the disconnect switch does. Switch number 1 simultaneously disconnects its ungrounded conductors, switch number 2 does it for its ungrounded conductors....

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Seems to me that if the unfused disconnects by the water heater itself are grouped and identified then the requirement he cited is met, regardless of anything about the breakers in the panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I understand what he is saying even if incorrect. The wording is a bit tricky as it states the switch must disconnect all ungrounded conductors which IT controls not all conductors to the appliance which would be desirable especially if the breakers are not at the appliance but what you have is compliant if the breakers are in sight from or lockable

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Is there a situation where a disconnect wouldn’t simultaneously disconnect all the ungrounded conductors ?

Charged

Occupation
Electrical Designer
The requirement disallows using a single pole disconnect on a 240V load, or a 2 pole disconnect on a 3 phase load, for example.
Was that a typical practice at one time. I guess what I’m getting at … Is that a real concern or is the code worded in way that allows the interpretation but wasn’t the intent.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I understand what he is saying even if incorrect. The wording is a bit tricky as it states the switch must disconnect all ungrounded conductors which IT controls not all conductors to the appliance which would be desirable especially if the breakers are not at the appliance but what you have is compliant if the breakers are in sight from or lockable
In the OP's case, the breakers don't have to be in sight, or lockable, as he has disconnects at the water heater.

retirede

Was that a typical practice at one time. I guess what I’m getting at … Is that a real concern or is the code worded in way that allows the interpretation but wasn’t the intent.

I don’t think it was ever typical for a disconnect, but it’s not unheard of for a switch to not interrupt all of the ungrounded conductors (electric heater controls sometimes do this). The load shuts off just fine, but obviously it’s not safe to work on. The code would not allow this type of switch to serve as the required disconnect.

I can’t comment about intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.